Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Pot Gardening, looking to try in Vancouver,WA this year!

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:46 AM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi, I'm brand new to Cafemoms. ladybug

I've never had a garden of my own before but I grew up gardening as a child. I have decided to try my very own first garden in pots, as I don't have much space and I'm not positive in how much the sun is going to shift. I know a garden needs 5-8 hours of direct sun light a day. Also, I'm not very confident in my gardening seing as its been some 12 years since I did any of it. Wish me luck! I want to go as green and organic as I can.

If you have any advice for me please let me know. (I live in the northwest. :)recycling sweetpea

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mattiehatter
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Good luck!! I need to get some soil and tomato plants.

RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:51 AM

that is totally not what i thought you meantslapping forehead

ljsIronwoman
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Thanks! I'm thinking of potatoes, I was told of a trick. plant your spuds about 2-3 inches under the soil. as the plant grows you just add hay or straw around the stem insted of dirt( you'll have to fence the straw in or weigh it down) then when your ready to harvest you just pull aside all the straw!! I want to try.

ljsIronwoman
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM

lol sorry! I guess I could have worded it differently.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Talk to your local nursery.  I am not kidding.  I have heard good things about Shorty's on mill plain for nursery care.   We stick to flowers since we do not get much sun where we live in vanc and found flowers that thrive in shade but warm temps.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM

PS  some of the parks sell gardening plots that have the optimal sun (all day long).   Contact parks and recreation for that information.

alexis_06
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:17 AM

that sounds like a great idea!!  best of luck!! let us know how it turns out  :)

ysmeine
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:35 AM

I grew potatoes in pots last year. It was fun, but not really a lot of return. Maybe it was too dry. Tomatoes do well, the cucumbers I tried did not do very well. Partly because I have a polination issue. I live too close to a corn field that sprays. Pole beans have done well in pots. I place the pots on either side of an arch way and corral pots underneath with hanging pots above. I had two hanging strawberries and flowers last year.

RADmomma
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:16 AM
Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RADmomma
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:16 AM
Me either

Quoting RoseWall:

that is totally not what i thought you meantslapping forehead

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN