Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

CAMPING !!!

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 29 Replies

Hello ! i have only been camping maybe 2 or 3 times..  i would like to start taking my family camping a couple of times a year the kids are 8 and 4 so i think thats a good age to start :)  any tips on what do pack or expect or plan? im looking in to koa camps for now.

** do yall recomend koa type places or state parks?

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Tent or RV camping?

Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM

KOA kamps for the most part are pretty nice but they can be expensive, many KOA's have set activities during the summer, read reviews of the campground. I know the KOA in Hershey PA isn't well liked because it has a train near by and since they are coming to a town they have to blow the whistle at all hours.

shoot4thestars
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Tent, sleeping bags, camping grill, extra clothes, toilet paper, marshmellows, mountain pizza pie hickies, swim suit if they have a lake you can swim in or boat/kayake also.

GabbyGirlsMommy
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Bring lots of wet wipes/baby wipes! also, outside toys and more towels or blankets than you think you will need. Not sure where you are located but The Holiday Travel Park in VA beach is pretty good. Look for parks with a pool and planned activities or carnivals too. And some have little cafes or restaurants. It's nice to have that so you don't have to grill every meal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
evaleesmom
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM

kids and i would like to do tent but hubby is not very out doorsy so he wants a cabin..  as of now we are undecided :)

Quoting ScrChk23:

Tent or RV camping?

evaleesmom
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:40 AM

oh ok thanks.. i was looking at prices the once closest to us is $55 a night for a cabin.. is that expensive? 

Quoting Alyssasmommy412:

KOA kamps for the most part are pretty nice but they can be expensive, many KOA's have set activities during the summer, read reviews of the campground. I know the KOA in Hershey PA isn't well liked because it has a train near by and since they are coming to a town they have to blow the whistle at all hours.

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM

we camp on family land, heres my list

Shelter

Tent

Bedding

Sleeping bag

Sheets/blankets

Pillow

air mattresses

screen house

Cooking

Coolers/ice

Stove with fuel/propane

Matches/lighter

Campfire grill/BBQ grill

Fire starters/newspaper

paper plates

Silverware/plastic silverware

Heavy-duty aluminum foil

Paper towels

Trash bags

Dish soap

Cooking oil/Pam spray

Potholders/oven mitts

Pots and frying pans with lids

Cook utensils-spatula, knife, spoon

Tongs

Can opener/bottle opener

Mugs/paper cups

Cutting board

Napkins

Dish pan

Dish rags/towels

Clothes

Shoes

Shorts

T-shirts

Socks

Hat

Underwear

Swim suit/towel

Personal

Deodorant

Comb/brush

Feminine products

Toilet paper

Personal medications

Miscellaneous

Sunscreen/chap stick

Bug repellant

Whistle

Camera/battery

Fishing gear/license/bait

Camp chairs

Sunglasses

First aid kit

Tissues

Flashlight/batteries

Pocket knife

Plastic grocery bags

Coffee pot

Cards/games/toys/golf

Cell phone/charger

Hand wipes

Tools

Axe

Lawn mower

Spade shovel

Drill and drill bits

Fire extinguisher

Rake

Food

Hotdogs

Chicken

Steak

Eggs

Bacon

Potatoes

Baked beans

Chips

Water

Beer

Juice

Soda

Stuff for smores

Seasonings/sugar/condiments

Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Quoting evaleesmom:

oh ok thanks.. i was looking at prices the once closest to us is $55 a night for a cabin.. is that expensive? 

Quoting Alyssasmommy412:

Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Expensive is all what  your take on it is. If its cheaper or only a little more to get a hotel then its not a good deal. Depends on what is nearby as well, Williamsburg VA KOA is said to be expensive because it has a lot of outside activities, Williamsburg, Yorktown, Busch Gardens, etc. that are close by.

Also if your tent camping remember if you buy a new tent, set it up first make sure you have all the parts. Put seem protection along the seems and let it air dry outside a few days (read instructions on seam sealer). If your going to a rainy area make sure you have a tarp for under the tent. Should get a tarp that is as close to the tent size as possible but go a little bigger if you have to do one or the other. With the excess tarp fold under the tent that way if it rains the water goes under the tarp and not above the tarp and seap into the bottom of the tent.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I can help with the tent camping.

Quoting evaleesmom:

kids and i would like to do tent but hubby is not very out doorsy so he wants a cabin..  as of now we are undecided :)

Quoting ScrChk23:

Tent or RV camping?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)