Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why do people keep saying it will raise rates?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM
  • 30 Replies
Many people have told me on here and irl that if I buy a trampoline my homeowners insurance will either raise my rates or drop me. I called my insurance and they told me they wouldn't do either. Am I getting lied to from them and they change their mind or something?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
specialwingz
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

NO.  Most insurance comapnies DO increase your rates because it is an extreme liability.  The odds of one of your kids or someone else's kids getting hurt is high.  And, in a sue-happy society, another child's parents are highly apt to sue.  Therefore, it is considered a high risk like a swimming pool.

Aleta775
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM
This. Your insurance company lied to you.

Quoting specialwingz:

NO.  Most insurance comapnies DO increase your rates because it is an extreme liability.  The odds of one of your kids or someone else's kids getting hurt is high.  And, in a sue-happy society, another child's parents are highly apt to sue.

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Our insurance co told us that they would raise our rates if we got a trampoline and our agent told us that there are tons of accidents - kids getting hurt on them.  So, even though my kids wanted one, we're not getting one.  They said the same thing about a diving board.  We still may get one - not this year though.

TheMrs407
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM
I would get it documented that your rates won't go up or what you can do to make it safer to their standards. It's like a pool, fun but a liability.
Lovemyshadows
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM

My rates didn't go up.

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Make sure you also get it in writing that your insurance covers visitors that get hurt on the trampoline.
TableforSeven
by Judy on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Did they say you would be covered if someone has an accident on the trampoline?  Maybe they said the rate won't go up because they won't cover it.

BluePandaDreams
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Simple solution. Don't say anything to the insurance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessiesluv
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM
How do they know unless you tell them?
Racer15
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM
They can drop by unannounced. About seven years ago we got a letter in the mail informing us that we were going to be dropped from our policy unless we got rid of the "Chow dog on the premises." Apparently an agent dropped by to "inspect" the house when no one was home. I had had my dog for five years at that point, and tried to reason with them. Had her evaluated by her vet and was deemed non-aggressive, got a letter from said vet stating what they had determined, tried to invite them out to the house while someone was home so they could meet my dog...no dice. We got a new insurance company. Moral of the story, they can drop by and do inspections without notice and if you get busted, you'll have to get rid of it or find a new insurance company. Just get it in writing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)