Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

He just doesn't care PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:45 AM
  • 10 Replies
My DH and I are really worried about our 9 yr old. He seems completely indifferent to life right now. He does have feelings but it takes a lot to get them out. He's extremely intelligent but is getting a poor grade in the subject he doesn't like. He seems to forget everything. Punishing doesn't work because it doesn't bother him.

He used to have anger issues but they have completely vanished now that his doctor cut out all sugar. We can difinitively say that it was his hypoglycemia causing the outbursts. Now that they're gone though there is almost no emotion at all.

He does have emotions but never shows them.

My biggest concern is that he is so easy going that nothing matters to him.

Please ladies, help me, ask questions, help brainstorm answers, anything!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetr0se
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM

My stepson went through the same thing for a while, but that's mostly because he was in foster care for a long time. However there are still days where it doesn't seem like he cares about anything except his stuff getting taken away. Now we take him to therapy and got diagnosed him with ADHD with and on meds. It seems to have done the trick, although he just started his meds yesterday.

I think it could just be a boy thing also, maybe just monitor how long it goes on and see a councilor! 

dommad2
by Tamara on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:56 AM
He was in counseling at the school but she said he was fine and didn't need to see her anymore. I put a call into her and am waiting for a call back.

Quoting sweetr0se:

My stepson went through the same thing for a while, but that's mostly because he was in foster care for a long time. However there are still days where it doesn't seem like he cares about anything except his stuff getting taken away. Now we take him to therapy and got diagnosed him with ADHD with and on meds. It seems to have done the trick, although he just started his meds yesterday.

I think it could just be a boy thing also, maybe just monitor how long it goes on and see a councilor! 

sweetr0se
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Sometimes school councilers don't have the full scope of dealing with kids who might have a mental issue, the best bet is to go see a professional one that isn't in school. The principle at my stepson's school told me the school councilers are very limited and can't help kids if they have some sort of mental illness.

dommad2
by Tamara on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM
We've never had any inclination of mental illness. More apathy than anything else.

Quoting sweetr0se:

Sometimes school councilers don't have the full scope of dealing with kids who might have a mental issue, the best bet is to go see a professional one that isn't in school. The principle at my stepson's school told me the school councilers are very limited and can't help kids if they have some sort of mental illness.

sweetr0se
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I'm not saying there is or isn't one, but the school counciler can't diagnose or tell what's really going on. However, my stepson is the same way about his school work, just doesn't care about his grades or his school work, that's because he just doesn't have the ability to concentrate for long periods of time.So he just stopped caring about a lot of things all together, also he was misbehaving at school alot because he wasn't showing his anger or aggression here.

dommad2
by Tamara on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM
After speaking with the school and discussing boredom we are going to talk skipping a grade.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Welcoem to the group,
Sorry to hear this about your DS .. why does the school think skipping a grade is a good idea?
Is he mature for his age?  Soical as well?
Hugs to you & hope you find some answers :)

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Do thorough bloodwork for any and all possible physical  and/or chemical imbalances. You never know.

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Apathy is a classic symptom of depression.

Quoting dommad2:

We've never had any inclination of mental illness. More apathy than anything else.

Quoting sweetr0se:

RaineyLeigh
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Cutting out sugar is a good start, but PLEASE be VERY careful heading down the ADD/ADHD road, do tons of research, ask lots of questions about not just sugar but all the additives and other chemicals that are added to the foods he may eat. Also about the types of chemicals that are in your soaps and lotions, even the cleaning chemicals you use around your home! And also what are his other activities, tv? video games? I'm not positive, but im am pretty sure if I allowed my boys to have more than just weekends to play video games and watch tv they would become zombies! Im not saying that some kids dont truly have issues but I think this ADHD is used far too much. Either way I do hope you are able to figure this out and get him the help he needs. I know we dont know each other but please know that I am sending healing prayers your way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN