Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Traveling with toddlers! Help!

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hello! I was hoping for some advice on how to keep a 6, 4, and 2 year old busy during a long car ride... we're talking 12+ hours here. The hubby doesn't want to stop and stay somewhere overnight, so we are looking at straight through. We do have a portable DVD player but I don't want to have to rely on that for the entire trip. Any suggestions are very much appreciated! Thanks!

Quote for the day:
'Whatever you give a woman, she's going to multiply.
If you give her a house, she'll give you a home.
If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal.
If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart.
She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her.' 
So - if you give her crap, you will receive more shit than any one human being can handle!

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kitchen.ninja
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:21 PM
I've been there, lol!

Keep a little bag for each.

2 yr: a couple of little soft toys and maybe a you mirror.
4 yr: a little etch a sketch or something, a book, a toy camera or something.

6 yr old: Book, word search, activity book, camera.

Also keep snacks on hand. We usually stopped every 4 hours and I would do stretches with them and make them go potty.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Is it possible to start the trip later so the 12 hours is mostly throughout the night? Like 7 pm to 7 am? They'll be asleep for most of the ride.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paknari
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM
DVD player, crayons and paper, play dough,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Seagodess
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with Coolmommy. Try to have at least part of it during a time they can sleep. If you want to leave in the morning, let them stay up late the night before, then wake them up early.

Do they have hand held video games? Those are great. Coloring books, the older one can practice reading, small toys (action figures, barbies). Pack a baggy of snack for each of them. Play games like I Spy. My nephew just taught me a new car game. You start with A, and find a word that starts with each letter of the alphabet in order.

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:19 PM

We left late in the evening the night before. My ds fell asleep 20 min out of town and slept all night while we took turns driving in the am. This limits the amount of time the kids awake and need entertaining. 

RADmomma
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM
I agree with night time driving. Hubby & I drove 20 hours when our oldest was 2. Nite driving saved us!!
TableforSeven
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Do most of your driving over night....that way the kids will sleep.

themomof3boys
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:46 AM
I agree night driving is the way to go...also buy some new things and don't give them to the kiddos till the trip. Such as coloring books, etc. Also make lots of pit stops so the kids can get out and run around.
Jules5077
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Thank you all so much!  We did figure out that we are going to leave around 11 pm or midnight and keep the kids up that late so they will sleep in the car.  That does seem like the best option so there is less time to keep them occupied.

Thanks for the great suggestions!  And wish me luck :)

CarolinaCottonC
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Yes. I not only have kids..but worked as live in house mom..and did long trips with them also.

BRING INDIVIDUAL bags of treats for the older ones..with their names on them..helps make them feel responsible and ...have fun....I put each kids "treats" in a larger paper bag with their name on it..

Bring NEW toys.. one for every couple of hours...EVEN if it is a book that invisible stuff shows up when "colored" over.. or books.. (used) or little learning toys without lots of pieces. BUT don't give it to them..hide with you until it is "time."

Make list of fun songs and activities..get these off web if you don't know a million.. ..make some active and noisey but always end with quiet song...about 5 per hour...

have active time OUTSIDE of car even if at a MC Donalds Playroom..they NEED to exercise...or run them at an empty parking lot lol

Bring extra TOWELS. Extra Blankets. Extra clothes to change into...a bucket of some type just in case they get sick..(it happens more when you do not bring one ! )

Bring CDs!! Bring a timer..like egg timer..if you have never used one before..they still may be able to Take Turns with one they SEE the time go by on...

:) Hope that helps... And GET SLEEP...you mommma..get sleep...you will need it to keep happy and calm...they will do as you Feel...

Be blessed!

Lisa Ann Toney...

CarolinaCottonC

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)