Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What do you think?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hello ladies,

I have been doing some serious thinking today. You see, I work a full time job. I work nine hours a day, five days a week, so figure 45 hours a week. I have a two year old daughter and a baby on the way and I've been feeling to bad because I already feel like I don't have time for my daughter.

My day literally consists of waking up, getting myself and daughter ready for the day, taking her to daycare, going to work, picking her up, getting home, cooking dinner, cleaning whatever mess I made by cooking, giving her a bath and then putting her to bed. I have maybe four hours with her a day and it makes me feel horrible. I am fortunate to not have to work, I chose to work to help my fiance with the bills. 

Do you think its beneficial for children to have at least one parent home? Please no bashing me or what anyone else posts. I really would like to know your opinions. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
alli1204
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM
I chose to stay home the first 3 years of my dd life. Was it hard taking that pay cut? Yes. But years down the road ill NEVER say, "gee. I wish I would have worked when dd was little". Nope. Giving up shopping sprees and my weekly Mani/pedi was a no brainer. I'm so very thankful I was there when she was little.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:32 PM

You need to do what you feel is right.   I made the decision to stay home for at least the first year and then been looking ever since for a job since she is now in 1st grade.  My guy would be a stay at home dad since he is retired from military.

jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM
You have to do what's best for your family as a whole. My opinion: if you can afford for one parent to stay home then do it! :) I would not give up staying home with my son.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM
this is just my opinion...but it's the quality of time spent together, not the quantity. I know some really bad SAHMs (I'm one) and I know some awesome working moms who have managed to find that balance.

When you're making dinner, have her help by setting the table (who cares if it's wrong)? If you can afford it, hire a cleaning person so your free time is spent with your family, not cleaning. Or have her help you. It may not seem like much but those moments together will build memories.

it will be an adjustment when the baby comes but you'll figure a new routine that will work for you. I've never regretted being a working mom and my kids were always fine with it too (12 and 8).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Do what you feel is best for you & your family,
If it can be afforded for one of you to stay home with your dd & new baby then yes that would be great :)

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:13 PM
If we could afford it, one of us would stay home. My mom stayed home with my brothers and I until we were all school aged. Then she did substituting so she would be off at the same time we were. Once we got into high school, she went back to work part time for fun money. She volunteered regularly at the Church and schools also.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)