Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

In my opinion, this is disrepectful, not sweet or heartfelt!

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM
  • 43 Replies

"This is going to be one for the books," the Rev. Caleb Johnson announced at a funeral on March 28. The deceased was Gregory "Chops" Scott, and 2,000 people gathered for his procession. Only 850 of them could fit into First Corinthian Baptist Church in Philadelphia. But those 850 were in for a surprise. That day, Scott's nephew Reggie Wade, 39, wed Monique McMillan, 29, in an unannounced ceremony that took place at the funeral.

Before his death, Wade's uncle promised to walk McMillan down the aisle. Her father had died years ago, the Philadelphia Daily News reported.

Scott was gunned down outside his home on Feb 27. He was a leader in his community and drill master of West Philadelphia's Gold Coast Buccaneers drill team. At the funeral, Wade and McMillan both wore Buccaneers-colored T-shirts that featured Scott's picture.

"This was the last time his presence was gonna be here with us, and he promised me," Wade said. "It's like I got to live up to my word. We never lie to each other."

Johnson told the crowd, "If you came to this looking for a funeral as usual, you're in the wrong place." He then announced the surprise wedding.

"You had some gasps and you had some laughter because folks knew, who else would do this?" he said.

Johnson then married Wade and McMillan as they stood in front of the casket.

"We keep our promises, and he promised to give her away," said Scott's widow, Alfreda Johnson-Scott. "And he was dressed for the occasion."

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
headingsouth13
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM
4 moms liked this

if shit like that happened at my funeral i'd come back and haunt their asses

jillbailey26
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM
14 moms liked this

How is it disrespectful to turn something tragic into something positive?

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Just when you think you've heard it all...

To each his own...   It's kind of sweet, actuallly, and a family decision. No one else's business, I guess.

Mommynwife26
by Brianna on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Ummmm wow. Just no words...why would anyone want a wedding at a funeral? That be a shitty memory to have.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Irenesmommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM
7 moms liked this

I can see it being disrepectful to the mourners if they had no idea this was going to happen. However, if the deceased was the kind of guy who would love this then I don't see how it's bad.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I find it neither heartfelt nor disrespectful, just odd.

nicolemead91
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM
2 moms liked this

i don't think it was disrespectful at all..its not like it was a complete stranger or something..

he kept  his promise..i thought it was actually kind of sweet..its their family so its their business.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree. I always tell DH I want my funeral to be a party...celebrate my life, not my death.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blue_apalt
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends on the person if it's was disrespectful or not.  Perhaps this is totally something Mr Scott would have wanted.   It could be disrespectful if he wasn't the type to want/do this sort of thing, but if his family felt that this would have been something he would have wanted...perhaps it fit with him and his style and he would have been thrilled with the idea.  I would assume his family knew best on that...if that's the case it is sweet and fine, IMO.   If it was about them and not a way to honor him and not something he would have liked then I would agree w/ you; I find it unlikely that is the case and they though "hey what a great place to have a funeral.  Forget uncle Scott, lets just do our wedding" though.  

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this. My best friend's mother died, and her mother had instructed them ahead of time to play the song, "That's Entertainment," by Judy Garland. It made everyone laugh. That's the kind of person she was, and we laughed and cried at the same time. It was beautiful.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I agree. I always tell DH I want my funeral to be a party...celebrate my life, not my death.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)