Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

In my opinion, this is disrepectful, not sweet or heartfelt!

Posted by   + Show Post

"This is going to be one for the books," the Rev. Caleb Johnson announced at a funeral on March 28. The deceased was Gregory "Chops" Scott, and 2,000 people gathered for his procession. Only 850 of them could fit into First Corinthian Baptist Church in Philadelphia. But those 850 were in for a surprise. That day, Scott's nephew Reggie Wade, 39, wed Monique McMillan, 29, in an unannounced ceremony that took place at the funeral.

Before his death, Wade's uncle promised to walk McMillan down the aisle. Her father had died years ago, the Philadelphia Daily News reported.

Scott was gunned down outside his home on Feb 27. He was a leader in his community and drill master of West Philadelphia's Gold Coast Buccaneers drill team. At the funeral, Wade and McMillan both wore Buccaneers-colored T-shirts that featured Scott's picture.

"This was the last time his presence was gonna be here with us, and he promised me," Wade said. "It's like I got to live up to my word. We never lie to each other."

Johnson told the crowd, "If you came to this looking for a funeral as usual, you're in the wrong place." He then announced the surprise wedding.

"You had some gasps and you had some laughter because folks knew, who else would do this?" he said.

Johnson then married Wade and McMillan as they stood in front of the casket.

"We keep our promises, and he promised to give her away," said Scott's widow, Alfreda Johnson-Scott. "And he was dressed for the occasion."

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Well, for one.....the amount of mourners who were present. My FIL was a very well known business man in the town we are from, and at his funeral, there was about that many mourners who paid their respects. Only about a quarter of that people were family, the rest were co workers, friends, and people who barely knew him but knew of him. I would assume the same for for this man too. I would have been so embarrassed for my family if one of them decided, without telling anyone, they planned to marry at his funeral. Along with the amt of people, it makes it seem as if the couple was after a large wedding and used the death of the uncle to achieve that goal. Two, they actually robbed themselves of a day just for them and their wedding and took from a day just for the celebration of life for another.

ETA: My BIL died in Dec of 03. We got married in July of 04. It broke my husbands heart his big bro could not attend our wedding. His brother was so excited about the wedding, going as far as giving suggestions and tips and help with planning. At our wedding, dh's bro was there. In our hearts and dh had his Bro's dog tags in his pocket, along with wearing his watch that he loved.

Quoting jillbailey26:

How is it disrespectful to turn something tragic into something positive?

jillbailey26
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Not everyone wants their funeral to be a sad and mopey event.  I know I don't.  Celebrate my life, it's worth celebrating.  Those people knew this guy and if they only knew of him, they should've known what type of person he was.  Even his own widow was okay with it.

Who cares what other people think.  This is his family.  They know him best and they know whether or not he'd be okay with something like this.

Quoting momdoes:

Well, for one.....the amount of mourners who were present. My FIL was a very well known business man in the town we are from, and at his funeral, there was about that many mourners who paid their respects. Only about a quarter of that people were family, the rest were co workers, friends, and people who barely knew him but knew of him. I would assume the same for for this man too. I would have been so embarrassed for my family if one of them decided, without telling anyone, they planned to marry at his funeral. Along with the amt of people, it makes it seem as if the couple was after a large wedding and used the death of the uncle to achieve that goal. Two, they actually robbed themselves of a day just for them and their wedding and took from a day just for the celebration of life for another.

ETA: My BIL died in Dec of 03. We got married in July of 04. It broke my husbands heart his big bro could not attend our wedding. His brother was so excited about the wedding, going as far as giving suggestions and tips and help with planning. At our wedding, dh's bro was there. In our hearts and dh had his Bro's dog tags in his pocket, along with wearing his watch that he loved.

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM
That sounds great!

Quoting Kathy489:

I agree with this. My best friend's mother died, and her mother had instructed them ahead of time to play the song, "That's Entertainment," by Judy Garland. It made everyone laugh. That's the kind of person she was, and we laughed and cried at the same time. It was beautiful.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I agree. I always tell DH I want my funeral to be a party...celebrate my life, not my death.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Try played Welcome to the Jungle at my uncle's funeral lol. It was nice to hear it, because it was very much "him". Until you know the person, you can't judge really. Different strokes for different folks :)

Quoting Kathy489:

I agree with this. My best friend's mother died, and her mother had instructed them ahead of time to play the song, "That's Entertainment," by Judy Garland. It made everyone laugh. That's the kind of person she was, and we laughed and cried at the same time. It was beautiful.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I agree. I always tell DH I want my funeral to be a party...celebrate my life, not my death.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
red.intuition
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I don't think its disrespectful. I'm sure it was very shocking to the 850 people who showed up for a funeral. That being said I don't see anything wrong with it, but maybe it should have been saved for family- those who knew that he would have liked this. I think it's sweet in a family aspect, but I'm sure it was creepy to everyone else.

TableforSeven
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:30 PM

How horrible!

So they postponed this man's burial for A MONTH to turn his funeral into a wedding?!?!  That is wrong on so many levels!

Oceana09
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:58 AM

So, the man died and they were still making him keep his promise by getting married at his funeral? Wth?

Piskie
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:28 AM
Well, I'm glad you weren't part of that family then. That was their way of honouring the deceased... He got to keep his promise after all. I think its wonderful they'd do that for him. Sounds like they knew him well. Funerals are for the living, to respect the dead. I think it sounds perfect for their family.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovelove211
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:32 AM
It is disrespectful but I can kinda see where his logic came from. Depends which way you want to look at it I suppose
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rhonda142
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Well not disprespectful if everyone was in on it if they just busted in there and wanted to get married that would be another thing.  I think it was sweet and something the Uncle would have approved. I hate going to funerals but this one would have made it brighter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN