Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

In my opinion, this is disrepectful, not sweet or heartfelt!

Posted by   + Show Post

"This is going to be one for the books," the Rev. Caleb Johnson announced at a funeral on March 28. The deceased was Gregory "Chops" Scott, and 2,000 people gathered for his procession. Only 850 of them could fit into First Corinthian Baptist Church in Philadelphia. But those 850 were in for a surprise. That day, Scott's nephew Reggie Wade, 39, wed Monique McMillan, 29, in an unannounced ceremony that took place at the funeral.

Before his death, Wade's uncle promised to walk McMillan down the aisle. Her father had died years ago, the Philadelphia Daily News reported.

Scott was gunned down outside his home on Feb 27. He was a leader in his community and drill master of West Philadelphia's Gold Coast Buccaneers drill team. At the funeral, Wade and McMillan both wore Buccaneers-colored T-shirts that featured Scott's picture.

"This was the last time his presence was gonna be here with us, and he promised me," Wade said. "It's like I got to live up to my word. We never lie to each other."

Johnson told the crowd, "If you came to this looking for a funeral as usual, you're in the wrong place." He then announced the surprise wedding.

"You had some gasps and you had some laughter because folks knew, who else would do this?" he said.

Johnson then married Wade and McMillan as they stood in front of the casket.

"We keep our promises, and he promised to give her away," said Scott's widow, Alfreda Johnson-Scott. "And he was dressed for the occasion."

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Replies (31-40):
Lionpaw
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I don't know what to think or say. As long as the couple married was happy, and it was something the deceased would not have minded, who is to judge? The priest seemed to think it was okay to do that??

dychemommy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I don't know how I would feel about that.  I suppose it would depend on their reltionship and personalities.  I have family who would be horrified if this happened at their funeral, but then I have some who, if they were to know what their death day was, would be asking if this was something the couple would consider.  To each their own, I guess.

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I think it's cool and if was a Promise made then it was a Promise kept :0)

scorpiobabes
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:17 PM
I think that while it was unusual, they took a tragic event and turned into something positive. It happened in Philly, so it's to be expected. I grew up across the river, which is why I'm not surprised. Good for them-and I wish the couple the best!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Miss5ft4
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:19 PM

SMDH. And just when you think you have seen/heard/read it all!

Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:19 PM

that's a very personal decision for the family to make. i could never judge such a situation.

daytonbaby210
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:20 PM

To each their own I guess. I mean at my best friends funeral they played tupac and other hip hop artists but that was how matt would have wanted it. 

romanceparty4u
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Not really.  I want them to dance at my funeral, and make it as happy as possible. Screw mourning, I'm in a better place...party on! Life is for the living.

Quoting Mommynwife26:

Ummmm wow. Just no words...why would anyone want a wedding at a funeral? That be a shitty memory to have.

Mommynwife26
by Brianna on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM
That's different. They are still celebrating your life not getting married and making it about them.

Quoting romanceparty4u:

Not really.  I want them to dance at my funeral, and make it as happy as possible. Screw mourning, I'm in a better place...party on! Life is for the living.

Quoting Mommynwife26:

Ummmm wow. Just no words...why would anyone want a wedding at a funeral? That be a shitty memory to have.

Chelsey191
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:54 PM
This is sweet and what a way to honor him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN