Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

In my opinion, this is disrepectful, not sweet or heartfelt!

Posted by   + Show Post

"This is going to be one for the books," the Rev. Caleb Johnson announced at a funeral on March 28. The deceased was Gregory "Chops" Scott, and 2,000 people gathered for his procession. Only 850 of them could fit into First Corinthian Baptist Church in Philadelphia. But those 850 were in for a surprise. That day, Scott's nephew Reggie Wade, 39, wed Monique McMillan, 29, in an unannounced ceremony that took place at the funeral.

Before his death, Wade's uncle promised to walk McMillan down the aisle. Her father had died years ago, the Philadelphia Daily News reported.

Scott was gunned down outside his home on Feb 27. He was a leader in his community and drill master of West Philadelphia's Gold Coast Buccaneers drill team. At the funeral, Wade and McMillan both wore Buccaneers-colored T-shirts that featured Scott's picture.

"This was the last time his presence was gonna be here with us, and he promised me," Wade said. "It's like I got to live up to my word. We never lie to each other."

Johnson told the crowd, "If you came to this looking for a funeral as usual, you're in the wrong place." He then announced the surprise wedding.

"You had some gasps and you had some laughter because folks knew, who else would do this?" he said.

Johnson then married Wade and McMillan as they stood in front of the casket.

"We keep our promises, and he promised to give her away," said Scott's widow, Alfreda Johnson-Scott. "And he was dressed for the occasion."

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Replies (41-43):
crazymom21
by *giggle snort* on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Then you don't wanna know what we did at my dad's funeral. Nothing wrong with what they did. He most likely would have approved.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trainlady
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I guess our opinions differ. I think this was a wonderful thing and that a lot of people managed to disolve their grief at losing this person through the joining of this couple. Its a very different way to do things but if it made them happy then who is to judge?

pamelax3
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM

a little odd, but to each their own

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)