Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Taking away the sippy cup...

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM
  • 20 Replies

My son is 2 and he needs to go to sleep with a sippy cup every night. he wakes up every couple of hours needing his cup and he has to have juice he wont take anything lse and i know its bad for his teeth. If he doesnt get it he will cry all night and its hard because me and my husband are trying to find a place so right now we live with his parents and they get mad when he cries. Also my son sleeps in bed with us due to no space for him and we both work. we have a baby on the way and we are gonna have to deal with the new born waking up and needing to feed. i just really want to reak him of this but i dont know how...

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I would not try to do anything until you find a new place to live.  For the sippy cup, simply put water in it.. He can drink it or not, let him make the decision what to do.  Make sure he drinks plenty of water and at most 2 8oz servings of milk during the day.   I am presuming he only has a few sips before he goes back to sleep.

socal1990grl
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would not try to do anything until you find a new place to live.  For the sippy cup, simply put water in it.. He can drink it or not, let him make the decision what to do.  Make sure he drinks plenty of water and at most 2 8oz servings of milk during the day.   I am presuming he only has a few sips before he goes back to sleep.

he drinks the whole thing then falls alseep. i tried the water thing and he knows the differance. he is so picky and this is so stressful bcuz i dont get any sleep because im am constantly gettin up to get him more and change his diaper. i feel like hes to old for this.

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:40 AM
This and you can slowly switch him to water by mixing water with the juice and put less juice in it each night till its just water

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Quoting socal1990grl:

Quoting frndlyfn:

he drinks the whole thing then falls alseep. i tried the water thing and he knows the differance. he is so picky and this is so stressful bcuz i dont get any sleep because im am constantly gettin up to get him more and change his diaper. i feel like hes to old for this.

He has a serious dependance on juice then.   I think he is too old to go to bed with juice as well, that is not good for anyone regardless of their age.   The In-Laws may have to deal with a few restless nights as you transition him over to water or no sippy.  When he doesnt want to drink water at night, he can wait until morning for juice or milk.  I am pretty sure he will not thirst to death over night when he is drinking throughout the day.

socal1990grl
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:06 AM
I completly agree
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jamie1972
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:09 AM

simply take it away but replace it with something else. like a blanket or stuffed animal. sounds like not only is  his cup part of his bed time routine but a comfort item as well.

socal1990grl
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Yea he does bath one tv show music sippy cup bed
socal1990grl
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:16 AM
I tried skipping the cup but he ended up asking for it.
BlessedMom458
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Thats a tough one. My son was on a sippy at night when my other son was born. Took him off so I could potty train him, he would steal his brothers bottle at night LOL. Living with someone else and not liking him to cry will be tough. But gradually take it away. Or what I did was say he cant have his sippy at night until he goes potty like a big boy. By then he was ok with not having a sippy at night. He would have a drink before bed once he was fully potty trained though. It is better to do now before the baby and get him use to it so he doesnt disturb the baby too or steal the bottle. IMO Next baby when you take the baby off the bottle at 1ish do not do a sippy at night LOL. Good Luck.

BlessedMom458
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:23 AM

I agree try a blanket or stuffed animal. Or make it a big boy game. "Big boys like daddy dont have a sippy cup when he sleeps" LOL. 

Quoting Jamie1972:

simply take it away but replace it with something else. like a blanket or stuffed animal. sounds like not only is  his cup part of his bed time routine but a comfort item as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN