Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Social Anxiety- Applying for fast food jobs at age 45

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 9 Replies
Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member to CM. A question needing an answer that can't be readily found through online searches.

Due to the recession, my work history has been damaged: over-qualified, long term unemployed, & a bad reference from a very cantankerous boss. After being out of work for almost a year (job rejection after rejection), my marriage to my husband was strained. I had numerous creditors calling me and attacking my credit rating. Being that I cannot pay my debts being unemployed, my husband and I took a break, that I left to a different state to find work (& finding work I did, at McDonalds). Before this point, I have never worked in fast food before. The experience was good, nobody knew me and I got my credit back on track.

After about a year away from my husband, a planned short trip to renew my license (and other paperwork) turned out to a long trip of reconciling with my husband. The issue now is that I'm using my fast food reference (a good one) to reapply at McDonalds again. My husband hates the idea. (I tried to get a glossier job, but got rejected). I just need a job to rebuild my work credentials. As going from no work options,to limited options, I'm being strong to build more options. First McDonalds, second grocery clerk, then to bank teller (I'm a former bookkeeper).

How can I get my husband to accept me working at McDonalds (he hates the stigma.attached)?

Why am I not seeing more people doing what I'm doing (at my age) instead of enduring ongoing long term unemployment?

I need to start somewhere. I need to rebuild fast. I need to repay my debts, and want to be able to advance myself to help my daughter pay off her student loans in our still struggling economy.

Thanks in advance
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
.strawberry.
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure what to suggest but here is a BUMP for you.

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Good for you.  Frankly, your husband is a twit.  Work is work and if he is so worried about the stigma of you working somewhere, why isn't he finding a better job and supporting you?  Isn't there a stigma against "real" men who can't support their families?

ETA:  Sorry about being snarky, but it drives me crazy that there are so many people out there worried about how it would look for them to have menial job, and then complain they can't find work.

You don't need to get him to accept it and support your actions.  You are doing what you can under the circumstances, behaving like a real adult.  Strong and committed to improving your life.

WeirdScience
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM
These are my debts that I don't want to impose on my husband, the reason for our previous break. This is not a family debt, but my own debt.
KellBell0820
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
You're doing what you need to do, good job by the way. He can either accept it or not, you're going to do it regardless, correct?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BrieannaMaske
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Hello my name is Brieanna I am a stay at home mother and my husband works but I wanted to be able to make money as well. I struggled and went through the fast food as well. But I felt like I was loosing time with my son. I am now a business owner who is actually looking to hire associates setting up appointments and enroll memberships. Please feel free to contact me by email or by telephone. I'm hoping I can help you out (: Brieanna.maske@gmail.com Have a Great Day ++
mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

If they were debts waaaaaaay before you ever met or married him fine, If they became debts after marriage they are his debts too, when you married the two of you became one unit therefore taking on whatever debts as a couple together and working through that as well... as a Married Couple !

Quoting WeirdScience:

These are my debts that I don't want to impose on my husband, the reason for our previous break. This is not a family debt, but my own debt.

Sunshine257
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
He needs to get over that. A job is a job. Do what is best for your family.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

my friend is a manager at a mc donalds and she makes pretty dang good money!  i say work and get yourself back on track.  your husband needs to get over himself.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
You should remi d DH that there are no small jobs, only small people. Good for you for trying to better your situation! He needs to be supportive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)