Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Sick baby advice

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 12 Replies
Hello, My 5 Month Old Was Recently Diagnosed With Broncholitis. She Has Been Coughing And Choking. It's Been Really Hard... I have Been Staying Up Watching Her Breathe. Does AnyoneEr?aVe Other Tips Besides Steamy Shower, HumidifiEr, Baby Vicks On Chest And Feet With Socks? I Use Saline Drops With Nasal Aspirator....She Cries And Squirms And Screams. Anyone Have Ideas To make That Process Easier? Also, Does Anyone Know How To Tell When She's All Better
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Did the doctor give you any medicine for it?  The obvious sign of her being all better would be easy breathing with minimal coughing.  I would go back to the doctor for more instructions on her care while she has this.

dychemommy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM

While I haven't dealt with bronchitus, I do know that it helps if you can put a rolled towel under the mattress where her head is when she sleeps.  That helps keep gunk from settling in her airways.  I hope she gets feeling better soon!

Boogiefly
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Thanks, She has reflux so we already elevate her when she sleeps. And the doctor gave me a hand out with ways to care for her while she has this but i just wasnt told much else but what it was and basically treatment of a cold. 

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:39 PM

has she been given a nebulizer for breathing treatments?  Inhaled steroids are very helpful with this.

bbjade
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM
This. dd was prescribed one for the same thing when she was 1 yr. it had an animal ' mask' that went over her nose and mouth so it was easy to get her to breath it in.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

has she been given a nebulizer for breathing treatments?  Inhaled steroids are very helpful with this.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
itybty1313
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM
If the doc approves and feels the baby is not too young, check to see how the doc feels about a starting the baby on a breathing treatment like albuterol. My daughter was diagnosed with the same thing and any time she gets congested I use the breathing treatment and seems to help the same day or by the next day. Hope he feels better soon!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:50 PM

We dealt with something similar and ended up in the er and the doc. gave her steriods (for Babies) it helped tremendously(it opened up her lugs so she could breathe) i'm not saying that's what they'll giveyour DD now because that was in 2002 and i haven't had to take her to the Doc. since other than the clinic for shots...I really hope she gets better it is very very scary and if she continues to struggle in the breathing dept and her phlem builds up to where it's making things worse take her in ASAP....Keep us posted please :0(

Boogiefly
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM

CryThe doc Told Me That The Nebulizer Won't Help Much..that it only Helps 15 percent and It Would Make Her cry more than help.

EsmeVincent
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Yes...my DS was 2months old when he all of a sudden cognitive and I still have that mask...he hated it...we had to hold him down. I can't think of anything else that hasn't already been said. I hope he feels better soon

Quoting bbjade:

This. dd was prescribed one for the same thing when she was 1 yr. it had an animal ' mask' that went over her nose and mouth so it was easy to get her to breath it in.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:04 AM

There is also powder that you blow into the baby's mouth.  My niece had this when she was 1 or 2.  

Quoting Boogiefly:

CryThe doc Told Me That The Nebulizer Won't Help Much..that it only Helps 15 percent and It Would Make Her cry more than help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN