Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Question for moms who "homeschool" (or home schooled) their pre-k kids

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM
  • 19 Replies

What do you do with them?  If you have already reached the point of kindergarten and they went to public school (or even a private school), how did they compare to their peers?  Were they ahead?  Behind?  By how much?  We recently became unable to afford preschool, but I don't want my kids to lose the extra instruction that will ready them for kindergarten.  My son will be 5 in the fall and we're hoping that while his birthday is past the cut off, we can get him to test into kindergarten.  He is exceptionally bright (we regularly are told that he seems like he is 5 or 6) and big for his age.  It would be nice if our financial issues do not hamper him.  What do you suggest for things to do with him on a budget?  And for those with kindergartners, what are the reading, writing, counting standards nowadays?

** I'll just answer you all here.  Thanks so much for the input!  We definitely know he would do well in kindergarten.  He plays and relates better with older kids than his peers and we would have moved him up sooner (as his preschool teachers suggested last year) except that it cost more money we didn't have.  He has been in preschool since he was 2 (the kind of preschool that teaches days of the week, numbers, letters, etc. not just playtime and social skills) and does better in all aspects than even some of the kids who are older than he is.  At 4 he does 100 piece puzzles by himself, so we are in need of some extra challenge for his day, haha!  It runs in the family, though.  His dad should have been moved up a grade (went into kindergarten knowing cursive and did 5th grade math for 3rd through 5th grade.  He suffered achedemically because he was so bored and just didn't do the work, though he aced every test.  His parents refused to advance him.  They had learned better by the time his brother came along and his little brother thrived.  They were both very similar to my son in their level of comprehension and social skills at this age, so we are going into this fairly well prepared.  I will look into what you all have suggested.  I want to continue to get him ready so when we approach the school district we will be prepared.  Also, algebra in kindergarten is insane!  Haha!  Thanks again!

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM

DD was taught at home for preschool years and the only thing she was behind on was handwriting which was still in normal realm at beginning of year but as the year went on she struggled more than her peers whom had formal preschool.  We found out she has motor delays and now in first grade we are discovering it is a processing issue since she cant seem to get words down on paper she thinks up.   In all other aspects though she is very book smart and gets along with her peers.   You need to talk to your specific school district for the kindergarten standards.

dychemommy
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Thanks!  What kind of things did you do with her to get her ready for school?  Did you use a program at all?

Quoting frndlyfn:

DD was taught at home for preschool years and the only thing she was behind on was handwriting which was still in normal realm at beginning of year but as the year went on she struggled more than her peers whom had formal preschool.  We found out she has motor delays and now in first grade we are discovering it is a processing issue since she cant seem to get words down on paper she thinks up.   In all other aspects though she is very book smart and gets along with her peers.   You need to talk to your specific school district for the kindergarten standards.

JasonsMom2007
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:07 PM
We homeschool for kindergarten as well but ds is just finishing his 2nd grade books and he's still in kindergarten.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:09 AM

We read tons of books, purchased abc/number books from dollar tree and other stores.   We watched alot of educational but fun dvds.  I am not kidding when i say dora, sesame street, PBS in general helped alot get her ready for kindergarten.   We also attended alot of library programs that were craft based or story times for her age. The location closest to us actually has a family story time that any age can go to so there were times you see teenagers coming to listen to the stories LOL.

The things we missed when we did it at home were scissor skills like cutting out shapes , the handwriting/printing letters, PE based things like hopping/jumping/skipping,  etc.

Quoting dychemommy:

Thanks!  What kind of things did you do with her to get her ready for school?  Did you use a program at all?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Zaorii0225
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:17 AM
1 mom liked this
U can use abcmouse.com! I havnt tried it bt it seems a good program
MKMommy562
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:30 AM
My son is advanced and I think it's from the different aps on our iPad and ABCmouse.com. I don't have many non educational games.

Quoting Zaorii0225:

U can use abcmouse.com! I havnt tried it bt it seems a good program

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:32 AM
I am TTC but I will be homeschooling my future children. They will concentrate on the following subjects: Arabic, English, Science, Art, Islamic Studies, and Du'a (we're Muslims so the Du'a, Arabic and Islamic Studies are part of our religion).
Rivana
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Hi moms... I use Starfull web site ..its great
Rivana
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Hi jewel dragons .. وانا كمان عربية مسلمة واهتم بتأسيس الاولاد على العربية والاسلام
وبستخدم موقع اسلام ويب ... كتييير مفيد
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:43 AM
1 mom liked this
hey, that's cheating:/

Quoting Rivana:

Hi jewel dragons .. وانا كمان عربية مسلمة واهتم بتأسيس الاولاد على العربية والاسلام

وبستخدم موقع اسلام ويب ... كتييير مفيد
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)