Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Childrens birthday parties

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM
  • 27 Replies

If your first grade (6yr) child was invited to a birthday party at someones house would you let them go alone?  My son has been invited to a few parties since starting school last year but have all been at public places he just received an invitation to a party yesterday for a party this saturday(?) at a classmates house.  I am torn on what I should do before I would always go and stay at the party/facility but this being at a home of a child I don't know I am not sure what I should do?  I am really not okay with him going to a home of a stranger alone but also feel weird staying so I am thinking of him declining the offer but feel bad.  What would you do let him go but you stay or go by himself or not go at all?  If you had a party at your home would you just expect the parents to stay or am I being really weird and over protective?

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM

At this age, you can either stay or leave him.   I would feel comfortable with dd going to a party alone mostly because i have met many of the other parents through school events and other birthday parties.   When i finally am able to throw a party for dd, I will let the parents decide if they want to stay or not.  Our apartment is not big enough so we would have to do it at a park or community center.

SWasson
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM

What are you so afraid of, and are your fears actually reasonable? 

Honestly, I dread parties where I have to stay.

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Well my fear is something happening to my child. Whether my fears are reasonable or not I am sure depends on who you ask to me they are. I don't know the kid or the parents so yes it makes me nervous allowing my child alone in their care.

Quoting SWasson:

What are you so afraid of, and are your fears actually reasonable? 

Honestly, I dread parties where I have to stay.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CorinneGK
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I would let him go, but stay with him. Get to know the parents and maybe the next time you will feel more comfortable letting him stay alone. I am having a party for my youngest, who is turning 5, this Saturday and we invited a few classmates, but I sure as heck hope the parents don't thnk they can just drop off their kid and leave. I am not comfortable with that and I am the host.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Stay for about 5-10 minutes and then you can leave if you feel more comfortable.  Run errands in that area and give the hosts a phone number if they need to reach you.

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM

This is what I was thinking.  Walk your son in and check out the scene.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Stay for about 5-10 minutes and then you can leave if you feel more comfortable.  Run errands in that area and give the hosts a phone number if they need to reach you.

aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Do you know the parents ? will they be okay with you just dropping him off ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:43 PM
No that's why I am asking. If I knew the parents then it wouldn't be an issue I would either feel comfortable staying or leaving him.

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Do you know the parents ? will they be okay with you just dropping him off ?
legobaby
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I dread when my kids get old enough for this.  Even if I trust the people, that's an age where I don't know whether I'm expected to stay or not.  SD is 11, and DH just in maybe the last year has started leaving her when he takes her to parties.  I felt like that was a little old, but she lives two towns over, and it was just cheaper in gas for him to stay typically than to leave her and have to drive back.  I just think that parents of kids that old being there would maybe be in the way if there is limited space.

Anyway, everyone's idea of what is the appropriate age to send children alone is different I guess.  I wish people would just spell it out so there is no confusion.

luckysevenwow
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:12 PM
I walk in meet the parents, check out how many other kids are there, give them my number. Then leave.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)