Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should businesses be allowed to deny service to gays?

Posted by   + Show Post

Last month, a florist in Washington refused to sell flowers that would be used for a gay wedding - saying it was against their relationship with Jesus Christ.

In Oregon, a bakery refused to make a lesbian couple a wedding cake - saying they don't serve same-sex marriages.

Do you think it's ok for these businesses to refuse service to someone because they're gay? 

http://gma.yahoo.com/florist-refused-flowers-gay-wedding-sued-154420094--abc-news-topstories.html

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Replies (121-130):
Racer15
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I hope that they are screening all customers to ensure they meet their moral beliefs then. No serving folks seeking services for a second, or third, or fourth marriage, no serving folks that had pre-marital sex, no serving thieves, or liars...otherwise they are being hypocritical cows.
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM
IMO I think if it's a privately owned business (nor sure how to phrase that) then they should be allowed to follow there own preference. There's enough florists and bakeries etc that it shouldn't be a big deal. I think people in those situations should be allowed to follow their beliefs. I know it sucks for some. My sister is gay and unable to marry her love of 8 years. But I do agree with this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessyroos
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding how a person who doesn't support gay marriage might be harmed by having to supply a gay couple with flowers or cake, etc. They get paid for the services they provide. What if every customer who came in and placed an order don't specify what the event was? Would a business owner who was against gay marriage ask all customers why they wanted the flowers, cake, etc. and then refuse service to those who wouldn't specify?

I'm not trying to be argumentative or rude, I truly don't see the connection between providing the goods and services to a gay couple and supporting gay marriage.
CABZS
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Yes, I believe in freedom. That includes letting idiots turn away business.

Those businesses have turned away others as well, wasnt a big deal bc the people werent gay.

People need to stop trying to FORCE others to do what they want.

I believe in equality for all and in gay marriage just an fyi.
CABZS
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:46 PM
If it is against their religion, their beliefs then they dont feel right providing services for them. I get it, I wouldnt want to do something that goes against my beliefs.

Quoting jessyroos:

I'm having a hard time understanding how a person who doesn't support gay marriage might be harmed by having to supply a gay couple with flowers or cake, etc. They get paid for the services they provide. What if every customer who came in and placed an order don't specify what the event was? Would a business owner who was against gay marriage ask all customers why they wanted the flowers, cake, etc. and then refuse service to those who wouldn't specify?

I'm not trying to be argumentative or rude, I truly don't see the connection between providing the goods and services to a gay couple and supporting gay marriage.

jessyroos
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Quoting CABZS:
If it is against their religion, their beliefs then they dont feel right providing services for them. I get it, I wouldnt want to do something that goes against my beliefs.

I totally get that it would be against their beliefs so they wouldn't want to support it in any way. However, why would a person get into a facet of the wedding business, knowing that gay people get married or have ceremonies and knowing that they would want to turn down requests for those types of events?

Would a business owner who was wary of providing services to a gay couple ask everyone to declare the type of event, in order to avoid inadvertently providing a service to a gay couple? Would they also decline to serve people celebrating second or third marriages?
lovelikethis721
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I don't think a business has any right to deny service based on personal beliefs. That's wrong not to mention illegal in some states because its discrimination based on sexual orientation.
CABZS
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Quoting jessyroos:

Quoting CABZS:

I totally get that it would be against their beliefs so they wouldn't want to support it in any way. However, why would a person get into a facet of the wedding business, knowing that gay people get married or have ceremonies and knowing that they would want to turn down requests for those types of events?

Would a business owner who was wary of providing services to a gay couple ask everyone to declare the type of event, in order to avoid inadvertently providing a service to a gay couple? Would they also decline to serve people celebrating second or third marriages?

Well many of those businesses have been around for years, generations even so gay marriage wasn't even a huge thought then.

Plus why should that hold them back of their dream job?  They can still have their business & not compromise their beliefs.

Well um if it is a wedding it is already known if it is a gay couple or straight couple.

If they are told it is their 3rd marriage then they possibly could decline to serve them.

Private businesses have a right to decline who they serve, wouldn't you want that right? I mean Im sure you wouldn want to serve the KKK for their anniversary celebration.  But if you have no rights you are forced to.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Well of course not. That is just ridiculous.

If I go in for flowers for my wedding they will have to serve to me and I am pagan. Worshiping a different god is much worse in the christian faith than being gay. But that is what is fashionable for people to fight now. Pathetic.

gooddays
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Wow!!!! I SAY. UNTO THEM ,LET THEM THAT HAVE NOT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE.WE ALL HAVE SIN.NO ONE IS PERFECT.BUT WE ALL HAVE A CHOICE IN LIFE.I PERSONAL DO NOT BELIEVE IN SAME SEX R SAME SEX MARRIAGE, BUT WHO R WE TOO JUDGE. GOD WILL DO THE JUDGEMENT ON THAT DAY.WE ARE TO LOVE EVERYONE ACCORDING TO CHRIST .AN FORGIVE AN TREAT EACH OTHER WITH RESPECT. NO MATTER WHAT NATIONALITY U R.SO I SAY TO THE FLORIST SHOP THAT IS THEY CHOICE, AN GOD WILL BE THE ONE TO JUDGE THAT PERSON ACCORDING TO THEIR LIFE STYLE AN ACTION IN WHAT THEY DO.RATHER ITS GOOD R BAD.BUT WE R TO STILL LOVE THEM AN FORGIVE THEM AN TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT, THEY R STILL HUMAN BEING WHO GOD CREATED.TO ALL THE GAY AN LESBIAN PEACE BE WITH U AN GOD BLESS U.BUT GOD WILL DO THE JUDGMENT ON THAT GREAT AN HOLY DAY.WE ALL NO RIGHT FROM WRONG.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)