Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Different gender siblings sleeping in the same room?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM
  • 58 Replies

So I have a son, age 3 will be 4 in June, and a daughter, age 2. Currently we live in a 2 bedroom apartment and they share a room. I'm going through a divorce with their father and I want to know if there's a law or CPS guideline that I should follow as far as age goes for them sleeping in the same room. I don't wanna give XDH any reason to through a hissy fight. I live in NY. Is there any laws here, do you know?

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I don't think there is. Mine are 6&7 they both have their own rooms but they rather sleep together. Most mornings I find them in my daughters bed together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo_star
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I have no idea, I think some states probably do, I'd check in our state, call CPS see what they say. 

Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM
It CT..it's school age. So when they are 5ish..they aren't supposed to share a room.
But you could always say the girl shares a room with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cgarlic
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I know in NJ once one of them turns 5 they have to have separate rooms. You could ask your apartment management or local housing authority they should know they laws for your area.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TotallyWarped
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Quoting mommyof11050307:

I don't think there is. Mine are 6&7 they both have their own rooms but they rather sleep together. Most mornings I find them in my daughters bed together.
Yeah I find them in my son's bed most mornings....
TotallyWarped
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Quoting Y2kmomma:

It CT..it's school age. So when they are 5ish..they aren't supposed to share a room.
But you could always say the girl shares a room with you.
We live with my BF so he and I share a room....Otherwise that would work.
Msgme
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I'm in ny also and there is a guideline of when one child hits 5 years old. But it really only becomes an issue when someone makes it an issue. 

TotallyWarped
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Quoting Msgme:

I'm in ny also and there is a guideline of when one child hits 5 years old. But it really only becomes an issue when someone makes it an issue. 

Thank you! My XDH will make it an issue...
wildlilacs
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Have the 2yr old sleep in your room, with her own bed. You should be okay. Now after puttin them in own beds, they sleep together or with you, well, thats just being lil kids. Cant find fault with that

Quoting TotallyWarped:

Quoting Msgme:

Thank you! My XDH will make it an issue...

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Where is this guideline? I've never heard if it.

Quoting Msgme:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN