Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Seriously.......A person tries and still gets screwed!

Posted by   + Show Post

Fuck me.

We own our home (well, make the payments to bank still) and we have a car we are making payments on. Like everyone else, we have other bills and food and a million other things that need our attention and money each month. I am in school full time (nursing program) and I am wrapping up my first year (YAY!)

But I still have another year left to go before I can be working a steady job, making some pretty good money. All we have is dh's income, which is stable and good and all, but just not enough to cover our asses.

So, we have been looking into refiniancing our home. Roll in the car and other bills and only have one payment, and hopefully a lower one.

A no go. They say from where we have been late on payments (car and credit cards) our credit is hit too hard to qualify. So, I call the car note people and explain to them. I am tired of being a month behind on payments. I ask if I can extend my contract, make my payments lower so I can be on time with the payments. They say no. Credit too bad. They say no to a refinance. I ask about just surrending the car. I am told that when and if I do, they will sell car and what they sell for will be applied to what I owed and any balance left I still must pay! WTF? I am damned if I do, damned if I dont. Then they tell me I am eligible for a two month extension. SWEET! I take it. I ask how often can a person do that. They say you must make 12 payments on time to get it. OK. But credit is too bad to extend the whole contract.

I will never buy a new car again. I told them that too. LOL

I guess I should not say I am screwed, I did get an extension of some sort at least.

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Replies (11-19):
GeekMommi
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Circumstance's change.  Maybe when she took on this debt, it was all good.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

thats why you live within your means.

redheadstar
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM

That is the common phrase nowadays, and very true.  If I can't budget for something, it either has to be put on the back burner for another time or I wont buy it.    

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Anoronlight
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I really don't understand why people, like you, say this all the time. Has it never even clicked that when people buy a new car or what not, that they were living well within their means? And then maybe stuff happens and now they are not, but just trying to get by? I mean people have lost their jobs over the last couple of years and I'm sure everyone of them had a new car or a car payment, a house payment and what not and were doing just fine, then they lose their jobs, take huge paycuts and suddenely when they were doing just fine is now, them not doing well at all.  But immediately people say, "that's why you live within your means." like people have been working crap jobs, and purposefully going out and livinh beyond their means.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but a lot of people have been doing just fine, then things happen and that changes and people like you say things like that...talk about adding insult to injury.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

ramita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Something similar happened to my parents. My mom wasn't working at the time, and my dad had to take a pay cut and lower position. As soon as my dad got back home (he works land rigs and at the time was 10hrs from home), he went to his back to start trying to refinance the house note so he could afford to pay his bills. The bank wouldn't allow it despite the fact he had a 750ish credit score and was actually ahead on all his bills. Banks are crap ever since the housing crisis situation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Apr. 11, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Because in most cases all it is is people trying to keep up with the Joneses and/or poor money choices.

Quoting Anoronlight:

I really don't understand why people, like you, say this all the time. Has it never even clicked that when people buy a new car or what not, that they were living well within their means? And then maybe stuff happens and now they are not, but just trying to get by? I mean people have lost their jobs over the last couple of years and I'm sure everyone of them had a new car or a car payment, a house payment and what not and were doing just fine, then they lose their jobs, take huge paycuts and suddenely when they were doing just fine is now, them not doing well at all.  But immediately people say, "that's why you live within your means." like people have been working crap jobs, and purposefully going out and livinh beyond their means.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but a lot of people have been doing just fine, then things happen and that changes and people like you say things like that...talk about adding insult to injury.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:02 PM
This is what I did years ago when I lost my job. I figured which bills could be late and paid them late. Yes, I paid extra fees but in the short term, it helped. Whichever company charged the lowest fees for lateness was paid late. And if I could only afford the minimum, that was what I paid but I made sure the important bills were paid on time (mortgage, car). Now our credit is fine.

Do you belong to a credit union? They can be easier to work with and often have lower interest rates. Maybe refinance your car if you can't do the house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RADmomma
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Try downgrading non essentials like cable & Internet for a while, lower your cell phone plan. Budget your grocery, clothing & household spending. Don't eat out. Being lunches from home. No stopping for coffee or snacks.

Can you sell your car outright for more than you owe? Or at least what you owe?

Can you get a personal loan from a credit union or family in the amount of the car loan so u can pay it off & then pay back the family member?

There are lots of little things that add up quickly. Print out ur bank statement for a month & add everything up... Figure out where you can cut back.

We have been a single income family for 6 years... We are a family of 4. It's tough sometimes but we manage.

Find free things to do instead of spending money on movies & entertainment.

*** I know not all of my suggestions apply to everyone but they are ideas of ways to cut back.
RADmomma
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Try downgrading non essentials like cable & Internet for a while, lower your cell phone plan. Budget your grocery, clothing & household spending. Don't eat out. Being lunches from home. No stopping for coffee or snacks.

Can you sell your car outright for more than you owe? Or at least what you owe?

Can you get a personal loan from a credit union or family in the amount of the car loan so u can pay it off & then pay back the family member?

There are lots of little things that add up quickly. Print out ur bank statement for a month & add everything up... Figure out where you can cut back.

We have been a single income family for 6 years... We are a family of 4. It's tough sometimes but we manage.

Find free things to do instead of spending money on movies & entertainment.

*** I know not all of my suggestions apply to everyone but they are ideas of ways to cut back.
RADmomma
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Is your car worth less than what you owe??

Could you trade it in on a less expensive car to lower your payments?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)