Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Divorce in the family, how do you handle the anger

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter is 9 years old.

My husband and I are going through a divorce. My daughter has behavior issuse/anger issues.. She both dislikes her dad for what he has done, but wants in love and affection. She takes her anger & frustation out on me by throwing things at me and hits, kicks and punches me. She only displays this behavior at home or in the car? Any ideas? All along I felt she was taking her anger towards dad out on me,  the safe one me. This not only happens after a phone call from dad but when she doesn't want to do her homework, she doesn't want to shower, brush her teeth. Any ideas? 

by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Ladybugmama86
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Sorry, my parents just got divorced 2 weeks ago and my dad got remarried apparently all in the same day... But I dont know how to deal with it in children.

See a therapist?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
chickensmommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Therapy will help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tomahawk08
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM
when i was younger and my parents were divorcing (horrible ten years) i admittadely took it out on the parent i was living with just to make it harder for them because i didnt understand why andfrlt like it was my fault i couldnt keep them together so i pushed them to try and bring them together to 'fix' my behavior. but i found an outlet instead...i worked a ranch to release my anger and frustration. it was something that relaxed me and exhausted me to thebpoit where i didnt fight. i went to school, ran off to te ranch and was home for dinner. maybe u need to find a sport or outlet for your child? and for me....therapists make it harder.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I agree I would get her into see someone to talk to.

You could also ask her if she is upset about other things, get her to talk to you.

Hugs!

Reina13
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I would recommend family counseling for you and your daughter. It is normal to be upset and act out, but to physically act out is not  okay. She needs to be able to find a healthy outlet for her anger.

Good luck

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat with us Every Tuesday!

newstartmom21
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:16 PM

We are starting family counseling on Tuesday. In summer she plays tennis, volleyball & loves Splash Station. For right now we'll take walks or walks around the mall
 Thanks

Quoting Reina13:

I would recommend family counseling for you and your daughter. It is normal to be upset and act out, but to physically act out is not  okay. She needs to be able to find a healthy outlet for her anger.

Good luck

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat with us Every Tuesday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN