Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Daycare worries

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

To begin with I am a first time mother and my daughter is 4 months old. In a few weeks I will have to go back to work and put her in a daycare. I've heard so many horror stories about daycares which has me feeling very apprehensive. Unfortunately, I don't have any other choice. My question is what are some of the things I should look for when choosing a daycare? What are some of the things i should be concerned about and what questions should I ask the employees? Thanks!

by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jeweldragons
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM

BUMP!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM

If you can look up reviews and google the business name to see what comes up.   Are you wanting a home based daycare or a franchised daycare center?  Sometimes having a nanny could be less expensive and the baby gets one on one care.  There are many options for childcare when parents have to work.

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM
2 moms liked this
1. Does the daycare center have a license? 2. How many children are cared for in the center? How many caregivers are there? It is important for caregivers not to be overburnded by too many children, especially infants. 3. How were the caregivers hired? How were they trained? Did the center check references? What were the minimum educational credentials? Do the caregivers have any education or training in the behavior and needs of children? Do the caregivers attempt to engage the children in activities and educational experiences, or are they inactive unless a child screams or cries? 4. Is the environment childproof and secure? Can children stick their fingers in electric sockets? Are toys and outdoor equipment in good condition? Are sharp objects within children's reach? Can anybody walk in off the street? What is the history of children being injured or otherwise victimized in this daycare center? When are meals served? Snacks? What do they consist of? Will your child find them appetizing or go hungry? 5. Is it possible for you to meet the caregivers who will be taking care of your child? If not, why not? 6. Does the center seem to have an enriching environment? Do you see books, toys, games, and educational objects strewn about? 7. Are there facilities and objects such as swings and tricycles that will enhance your child's physical and motor development? Are children supervised when they play with these things or left on their own? 8. Does the center's schedule concide with your needs? 9. Is the center located conveniently for you? Does it appear to be a in safe location or have adequate security arrangements? 10. Are parents permitted to visit unannounced? 11. Do you like the overall environment and feel of the center or home? Listen to your 'gut'.
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:34 PM

bump, my kids have never been in daycare.

Lovingmommy1028
by Vanessa on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM

probably fined a daycare that has cameras installed you can see how your baby is doing & find if they have license & is a great daycare 

jdy9440
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

BUMP!

cgarlic
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM
I totally agree with Jeweldragon. #10 is very important cuz if they are doing things correctly then it shouldnt be a problem. I have experience as a parent & a worker in a daycare/preschool. The last daycare I worked in was horrible! Know the state ratio (easily googled) & pay attention to see of its being followed. Tour the center, ask lots of questions not only to the director, but also the teacher. If the director seems to always talk for/over her staff that is not a good sign. How many staff in room/center are cpr & first aid certified? Ask about policies fire drill/evac, illness, etc. Turn over rate of staff (I worked with 16 different people in 11 months).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
popomill
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Go there and take a look around. Watch how the people interact with the kids, check how they handle disciplinary problems. Is it clean? The mop and toilet used for potty training shouldn't be in the same room. How often do they change diapers? Hourly or as needed or both? Go with your gut, if it doesn't feel right then do go there, trust me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)