Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

NEED ADVICE

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM
  • 9 Replies
May of 2010 I was in agreement to my ex husband having custody of our now 4 year son. I had signed a paper stating I was giving him all rights. But, April 15th 2013 I received a letter in the mail saying our son, was placed in foster care due to physical abuse and the letter was asking me to contact a lady whom works at the CPS office. I called as soon as I had finished with the letter. I had talked close to a half hour with this lady... she had told me that my son was beat by his father, so badly that he had to be hospitalized for 5 days. She also had said that my son was literally covered in bruises from head to toe and lungs were bruised. My son's father was arrested for this harsh and unthinkable crime March 6th 2013. I wasn't notified about it until April 15th 2013. The lady from the CPS office had given me the CPS case worker that is working this case phone number. I then called the case worker. She was extremely uncivil and every time I tried to speak she said "I'm not finished" in a rude way. She asked for me (in her words) "to do her a huge favor" and to allow the foster family to adopt my son. I don't feel that is in his best interest, and I know for a fact he would also have a loving family with myself, husband, and our two children... along with our extended family. Once the case worker knew I was not going to be in agreement for my son to be adopted to his foster family she started in by saying I was only thinking of myself and if I truly cared and loved him like I say I do then I would let him be adopted. She told me that I never tried to see my son which is not the case because I have in fact made many efforts in seeing him even when I thought I had no rights the entire time. My son's father allowed me to see my son until July 29th 2011, after that he had excuses of why I couldn't see him. The case worker also said that his foster Mother was at his side his whole hospitalization time (5 days). I would of been there also if they would of notified me, like I said I didn't learn about this until a little over a month after the incident. She said in the end of the phone call "you aren't getting this so when can you and your husband come into my office?" I replied "when do you want us there?" She answered "let's make this all about you, this makes me sick, how about April 29th 2013 at 10 AM, I wanna throw up". I told her that we'll be there. I live in Oregon and her office is in Washington, a 356 mile round trip distance. Which in all means is fine because we will go to every meeting, court, everything we need to do to have my son come live with us. I tried to call the case worker's supervisor to let her know about the phone call with the case worker... When the supervisor answered her line she said "hello this is *****" I said "hi this is Amber *****, maiden name **********..." and she hung up the phone. I called back within 30 seconds and received her voice mail. I am wanting your advice/ help on what to do next... Thank you very much for taking the time to read this. I greatly appreciate it and look forward to hearing from you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mama1ttc2
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Bump
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Get a good family lawyer.  Since you didnt say why you gave up the rights, I can see the caseworkers being upset as well.  No reason to treat you badly though.  Are you prepared, if you gain custody of him, for a very angry and hurt little boy with emotional scars that will take years if ever to heal?

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Get a lawyer and see what you can do. While I'm not saying they had any right to be rude to you, in their heads you abandoned your kids with someone who abused him horribly. You can say you didn't know about it or that you tried to contact him, etc., but I'm sure they hear those stories all the time and now don't believe them. It's a crappy situation all around and the only person hurt in this is him so everyone needs to put him first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Get a lawyer. You're in for one hell of a fight.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Get a lawyer and ask your state rep to get involved. He/she will have resources the public doesn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HousewifeNina
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Why did you give him.up?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Lawyer up. And file a complaint with her supervisor.
chels210
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM
it isnt their job to judge you.....they are to look for the safest place for the child. get a lawyer asap
RADmomma
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM
This is true but unfortunately it's done everyday.

Quoting chels210:

it isnt their job to judge you.....they are to look for the safest place for the child. get a lawyer asap
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN