Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Soda & my MIL advice please!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 74 Replies

Hello all!

Heres my situation:

I have a 4 yo DS, whom my mother and MIL watch all week as i work full time, not willingly have no choice, so yes im alittle angry deep down. anyway, i am not overbearing and controlling at all, but since he was a newborn my MIL never respects my wishes ever, i have a list of things i said please dont do it and she just says yea yea yea and does it anyway, soooooooo frustrating! my mother yes she does whatever i say and shes my mom! so now i dont allow my 4 yo to drink soda, unless we are on vacation. i dont think its something he should have everyday, and i want him to think of soda as a treat every now and then. we do go on weekend trips and have a 1 week vacation once a year, so he has soda with dinner, if he requests it, if he doesnt remember, i def dont remind him. so i tell the grandparents NO soda at all!!! one simple request right?

now a close friend of mine ran into her at the local supermarket, she had soda in her cart no biggie right, except she tells them this is for my grandson, hes not suppose to have it but i cant say no to him. i mean she doesnt respect my wishes and she feels free to be open about it. so now im twisted! i figure i cant get through to an adult so im working on my DS telling him if its offered he has to say no, if i find out that he has it then no more on vacation. i mean what would you do??? and not having her watch him is not an option! so im stuck here

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RosellaBella
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM

BUMP!

BKozICan
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Sorry. I put the hammer down on that kind of stuff when ds was just a baby. I told her if she couldn't respect my parenting, she wouldn't see ds. She lost "privileges" once for two months. Now she toes the line. That won't work for you, unfortunately.

aimlee
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM
3 moms liked this

I would tell her to please listen to you as you are the mother. If she continues to ignore you and your ds tells you he had soda, you will find another sitter for him. 

I doubt she will let it get that far so it will just be an empty threat.

RosellaBella
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Quoting BKozICan:

Sorry. I put the hammer down on that kind of stuff when ds was just a baby. I told her if she couldn't respect my parenting, she wouldn't see ds. She lost "privileges" once for two months. Now she toes the line. That won't work for you, unfortunately.

wow good for you!!! sticking to your guns and being firm! i wish! my DH would never let it go that far, he sticks up for his mom way to much, i think because deep down he knows shes so wrong, so he is insecure and fights me on it
duejan13th
by ♥Jessica♥ on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this
I would get Another sitter...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RosellaBella
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Quoting aimlee:

I would tell her to please listen to you as you are the mother. If she continues to ignore you and your ds tells you he had soda, you will find another sitter for him. 

i wish, ive tried the asking nicely, and she usually responds, "of course, whatever you say, yes def your the mom, i agree" and then she does it behind my back.
RosellaBella
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Quoting duejan13th:

I would get Another sitter...

I wish its not an option :(

aimlee
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:16 PM

coud your mom or another relative watch him for like 2 weeks? Maybe showing her your serious might teach her a lesson. Thats plain rude to ignore your wishes.

Quoting RosellaBella:

Quoting aimlee:

i wish, ive tried the asking nicely, and she usually responds, "of course, whatever you say, yes def your the mom, i agree" and then she does it behind my back.

RosellaBella
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM

BUMP!

RosellaBella
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Thanks, i would love to do that, but my DH would never ever allow that, it would cause a big fight, im going to think about this and approach my DH with this. i dont know but she harrasses me for grandkids i want to tell her, lady you are my birth control! ugh

Quoting aimlee:

coud your mom or another relative watch him for like 2 weeks? Maybe showing her your serious might teach her a lesson. Thats plain rude to ignore your wishes.

Quoting RosellaBella:

Quoting aimlee:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)