Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Putting a 2 month old on a sleep schedule

DH says we should put our 2 month old on a sleep schedule. Right now he is waking.up every 2-3 hrs to nurse. I thought this was the norm at this age! He read nonlinear that he should be sleeping more. So I asked him just how we are going to do this and he doesn't know

Another thing he read nonlinear was that at his age he shouldn't be eating so often. Oh and get this! It said that if your baby is he may not be eating.enough. And you.should pump to see how much.your baby is eating! Uhhh...when I tried.to pump in the past I would get nothing to about an ounce...I'm pretty sure he is eating more than that! He is 13 lbs and wearing 6-9 month clothing and has an ENORMOUS amount of diapers ...lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Replies (11-19):
Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Not a good idea... It will ultimately reduce your supply.

Your dh may mean well, but he is giving you horrible advice.

Kellymom.com is the best source for good info on this topic.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Oh that reminds me of another thing! I told him that BM is digested really fast and he mentioned supplimenting.him at night with formula...I'm not so sure that's a good idea!

Quoting Junebaby18:

Send him to kellymom.com.

That is the best place to find out about everything Breastfeeding.

Pump output is never a good indicator of how much baby gets. Normal is 0.5-2 oz both sides combined. Only count diapers.

Putting baby on a schedule when Breastfeeding can set you up failure and low weight gain. Every 2-3 hours is very normal, even for a 10 month old. Breast milk is digested in approx 90 minutes.

tansyflower
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM

pumping output is not how you gauge supply.  wet diapers and weight gain is.  sleep scheduling is NOT recommended for breastfeeding mothers, especially this early in the game.  they should be fed on demand.  this isnt a two year old this is a TWO MONTH OLD.

your baby is fine.  he is eating the right amount and his sleep pattern is perfect.  dont fix something that isnt broken.

tansyflower
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

I would thrive the bottle of formula at night. If baby has a reaction to the formula, night is not a good time to experience it. You also need to pump for that missed feeding, or your supply will suffer.
bad advise. why feed formula just so she has to wake up anyway to pump? what exactly does that accomplish? put baby to breast and nurse. its best for baby and mom period.
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Every bottle baby gets tells your body to make that much less milk. That is really important during growth spurts. Also, just because he took a bottle of formula as a newborn, he may not like it now. It's not sweet like breast milk. It's actually quite nasty tasting.
bellaaax3
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM

i don't really think it's necessary to make a sleep schedule until babies are a bit older. also, breast fed babies usually wake up more frequently than formula fed babies because they can digest the breastmilk quicker. it's totally normal for your baby to wake up this often. my son's 9 weeks and i also thought at this age that they start eating less often, but my son still eats every 2-3 hours during the day. i got lucky and he sleeps 7 hours at night, but not because i put him on a schedule, he just does. when they're hungry, they tell you. you could try getting your baby back to sleep in the middle of the night and see if he'll sleep longer (sometimes my son wakes up, but isn't really hungry and he'll just go back to sleep) but if he's not gonna go back to sleep, he's hungry and you shouldn't not feed him or anything. he'll sleep more when he's ready to sleep more

kmorales7690
by Proud Army Wife on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM
At two months old is a good time to introduce a shedule. But go off the baby's natural schedule and slowly ease into a new one. Plus a two month old nursin every few hours isn't uncommon. He may not be getting enough when he nurses, you could have a low supply that he is trying to build up, or heat just be looking for comfort in you. That baby isn't doing anything out of the ordinary.
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Quoting tansyflower:

That was typed wrong. My phone is being really weird on this site today. It was supposed to say I would not give him the formula.
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM
I know this DH doesnt

Quoting tansyflower:

pumping output is not how you gauge supply.  wet diapers and weight gain is.  sleep scheduling is NOT recommended for breastfeeding mothers, especially this early in the game.  they should be fed on demand.  this isnt a two year old this is a TWO MONTH OLD.

your baby is fine.  he is eating the right amount and his sleep pattern is perfect.  dont fix something that isnt broken.

shortyali
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Waking so often is the best defense against SIDS. I woul thank DH for his advice but have him check out kellymom.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)