Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

did you know this about microwaving baby bottles?

I was just watching an episode of 16 and pregnant. (Yeah I know...lame) Anyways they kept microwaving the bottle

This can cause hot spots that can burn the babys throat. ( breast milk and formula)And it can also damage the quality of the breast milk.

Its been drained into my head after all the years of doing licensed daycare. Its always best to run the bottle under hot water or boil water on the stove.
Another tip with formula: just so.that I make sure I'm putting the right amount of scoops in the bottle I count out loud.. lol. I have a lot of little ones that can be distracting.

Ok...I've been up way too long with my baby...lol

Bluepandadreams reminded me of something else! Even when I boil the water I'm.still careful and shake the bottle and test it on my wrist! Also, I never boil the bottle. I turn off the burner. Wait a couple minutes and then place the bottle in the pot. After that I keep shaking it and then testing on my wrist...I have a lil guy in my daycare on breast milk and he has to.have it just the right temp or he won't eat! Lol

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Replies (21-30):
0Kit0
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Common sense
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
0Kit0
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Damn. So glad I'm done with babies. I don't miss any of that ish
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Yeah I have never but a bottle in the microwave, always did the water on the stove technique but you would be surprised how many people throw the bottles in the microwave, lol.

shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM

When my son was first born, I warmed his bottle up in a tupperware container with hot water and my mom told me to put in the microwave, and that's what she did with me and my sister.   I let her know that wasn't a good idea because of the hot spots.  And then she said maybe that's why you two were constanty puking.  I told her, I doubt it, but please still don't microwave his bottles! 

Rhodin
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:42 AM

The thing with reality shows is that they're really not all that real.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if it turned out the bottle in the microwave was a prop all along just to play up the dumb teen mom angle.

flawskii
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM
I've never microwaved a bottle i just use my bottle warmer or run it under hot water then normally let it sit for a minute before I give it to DD
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:21 AM
It's sad how something that "should" be common sense, is done so often. It's not just the hot spots. It actually destroys things in the milk, bm and formula.
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:22 AM

i knew this...i still microwaved tho..just carefully :)  never had any issues

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:24 AM
I did know this and I'm a first time mom, I wanted convenience but that's not always possible. I did right by boiling water first then adding the milk to the bottle, bottle in water, test on the wrist feed the boy. Lol
SissyAnn141
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Quoting 0Kit0:

Common sense

30 - 45 seconds, shake, TEST on wrist.  DUH...............

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)