Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

did you know this about microwaving baby bottles?

I was just watching an episode of 16 and pregnant. (Yeah I know...lame) Anyways they kept microwaving the bottle

This can cause hot spots that can burn the babys throat. ( breast milk and formula)And it can also damage the quality of the breast milk.

Its been drained into my head after all the years of doing licensed daycare. Its always best to run the bottle under hot water or boil water on the stove.
Another tip with formula: just so.that I make sure I'm putting the right amount of scoops in the bottle I count out loud.. lol. I have a lot of little ones that can be distracting.

Ok...I've been up way too long with my baby...lol

Bluepandadreams reminded me of something else! Even when I boil the water I'm.still careful and shake the bottle and test it on my wrist! Also, I never boil the bottle. I turn off the burner. Wait a couple minutes and then place the bottle in the pot. After that I keep shaking it and then testing on my wrist...I have a lil guy in my daycare on breast milk and he has to.have it just the right temp or he won't eat! Lol

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Replies (41-50):
romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM

it doesn't take rocket science -- nothing cooked in the microwave holds nutrition, even for adults. Microwaves are best used to "warm a plate" and this is what I've used my microwave for for decades. If you're going to "cook" how about actually cooking, and leave the microwave for leftovers?

I never used it for my kid's formula. Breaks the protein down.

SMH....you'd think their parents would have taught them wiser, wouldn't you?

Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Yeah I knew that. That is why you heat bottles in a bottle warmer or a pot on the stove. Then shake well. I dealt with this as a sitter.
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Or you can get your kid used to cold milk and you don't have to bother about warming it up!

Jamie1972
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM

yup knew that and still put bottles in microwave.

cLanief
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Id never micro a bottle.. they're not meant to be and the plastic can wear down and the baby is then drinking it. I just always used warm tap water. Then I never had to test it cuz I already knew the temp.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I used to heat only the water in the microwave, then test and add formula, and test again.  and then give it to ds. But most of the time i would do it on the stove,

emmypaige
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM
When I used bottles I put them in a warmer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GaleJ
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Why does it surprise anyone that some of these very young mothers, especially those on reality TV, don't have the best parenting skills? That they're young mothers who think being on reality TV is a good life plan should at least hint at the idea that they may have some issues with priorities and basic skills and knowledge.

letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM

yes

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Well sorry to say you can't fix Stupid for some People

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)