Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

has anyone traveled with an infant on lap during flight

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 41 Replies
My daughter will be two april 28. I am flyimg to fl april 26 and put her as a infant in lap to avoid buying her a very expensive ticket knowing she won't sit in the seat. Has anyone else traveled with a child that age on there lap. Any tips. Also do they need her birth certificate. I lost it.
Thanks
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I traveled with a four month old in my sling and my father had my two year old on his lap. Big suggestion: fly late ... really late. We brought two sleeping children to the airport, got on the plane, got off, and they never woke. It was perfect. Try to fly when they are likely to sleep.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I have flown with both kids on my lap. At the time, they did not require birth certificates but it has been 4 years since I have done it so they may now.

Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM
They wanted a birth cert at my airport when I flew with my son as a lap infant. Most of the time if they have the space available they will move you to get a seat next to you. Also avoid letting the child get up, because after you do it never ends lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HLmom89
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM
When we went to florida my youngest son was 1.5years old and our oldest son was close to 4 or just turned 4. Our oldest son had a seat and my youngest was on my lap.

The only bad thing was my youngest threw up. And we were up very early in the morning to get to the airport, in hopes the kids would sleep. My kids didnt, and when my youngest fell asleep he ended up puking.

On the way back home was alot better and more enjoyable.
TableforSeven
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:10 PM
3 moms liked this

If your child looks close to two years old...they WILL require a birth certificate.  If you don't have one, they will charge you for the extra ticket anyway and you can submit for a refund once you are back home and send them paperwork proving your child was under two when you flew.  Honestly, for the safety of your child....buy the extra ticket, bring your child's carseat on the plane and let everyone have a happy, comfortable, and safe flight.

greenie63
by Nancy on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Yes, and each time, my children fell asleep. In flight they would wake and I had a bottle ready because the pressure can hurt their ears. 

There were many times that a flight wasn't booked and I ended up getting an extra seat, but now flights are booked heavily, so that may not be an option, but you can ask the flight attendant. 

I worked for an airline for many years and I always advised the parernt, if you really want to be comfortable, buy an extra seat.  We used to offer infant seats at a discount, but after 9/11 they stopped that, so no discounts anymore(they may internationally). The airlines needed to make money because it wasn't a great time for the industry. 

Yes, the airlines may ask for a birth certificate because they child may look older than 2. You'll be buying a seat at that point last minute and that will be very costly. 

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Yes they will ask for birth certificate and if its a round trip and the child turns during the trip you are required to buy the extra seat anyway
LadybugsMonkeys
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Went we flew home from Germany, I had to get my 13 month old a ticket. But flying from Detroit to Ft. Wayne she flew on my lap. Even though there was an extra seat if she would have wanted it be it was a short hour flight and she was much happier on my lap. We didn't have to have her birth certificate since she had a passport.

sarah824
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM

They will want her birth certificate or shot records. If she turns 2 on your trip they will require you to buy a ticket for her on the return flight.

Tips to make it easier..... buy her a seat so she can wiggle a little bit.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Dd was 10 months old, nobody asked for her BC and she slept the whole way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)