Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I am going to be in the care of my niece for a while. She is very overweight. No health conditions but shes given candy for good behavior, and eats mostly fast food, in addition to that she eats serving sizes larger than me. I haven't really dealt with this so I need advice. Would it be bad if I reduced her serving sizes to a typical toddler sizes, or would that be starving her? She is accustomed to about 2 burgers, fries, and soda. Would it be bad if I fed her like I feed my two year old in an effort to adjust her serving sizes, even if she says shes still hungry? Or can this harm her in some way? Or should I slowly reduce the meal size, or should I just continue to feed her just as much but make it organic, and fruits and veggies like we eat? She is almost 3.

Thanks everyone! I'm Gonna try the fruit, water and exercise with a normal  2 year old servings.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Replies (11-18):
valkay
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Take her to a dr. Giving her better food will make a big change. I would not mess with how much she eats for at least a month of more nutritional food. You may find that is all she needs.
valkay
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM
How old is she?
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Feed her appropriate sized portions and offer fruit if she is still hungry.  Let her eat as much fruit as she wants.  Get her active.

jconney80
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I would feed her healthy food appropriate for her age. If all she is used to eating is fast food then she will easily lose weight once you cut the junk out. We don't eat any fast food really ever and we don't eat any sugar, food dyes, preservatives. I'm sure cutting all of that out will help her lose weight quickly!!

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM

give her normal toddler servings... if she is still hungry offer her fruit or raw veggies

momofjrjd
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM
im not sure what your situation is gonna be for long or short term if your taking over custody long term id consult her pediatrician about how to modify her daily menu so she gets full and also how much activity outside she should get so she can shed the pounds she need in playtime activities if you start now its easier for her to adjust then it will two years from now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trainlady
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Its not the size it's what you are feeding her. I would indeed change her diet to healthy foods. Worry about the portions later on. If she gets good solid healthy food her appetite will probably come down. But for now just worry about the ingredients not the amount.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:25 PM

slowly decrease her serving sizes & offer fruits & veggies at every meal.  play running around games a lot.  no juice.  and it wouldn't really harm her to drastically change...but it could cause an enormous unnecessary battle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)