Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

People with 3 or more children

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM
  • 15 Replies

Do u think it is easier having 3 or more children? y do you think its easier? what do you do when your stressed out? How do u keep your calm?

I have 2 kids.. 3.5 and 16 months..

When i get stressed i run away screaming.

Walk away to keep calm.

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM

BUMP!

big.city.mama
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Hi. I have 4 kids and while its more expensive I find it easier because then when I just had one because they entertain each other the oldest 3 are two years apart each.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
QueenBee107
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM
I have 3 kids and for me it just life. I know no difference now. My kids are 11, 9, and 7. I will say it does get a bit easier as the get older in some ways and harder in others. I am not chasing after them anymore or changing diapers. But now we have preteen drama from the older 2. The plus side is I can sleep in on the weekends without worry.
themomof6boys
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I have 6 boys and I am used to it. They all entertain each other. They are never without a playmate so they don't turn to me to be their entertainment or to find things for them to do. Sure there are days when they are bored and of course they need direction from an adult, but it there is enough variety for them with brothers having different interests that they don't need that constant attention from me. When we add more kids to the mix because friends are over, I don't even notice a change in noise level. It may actually get quieter because they are watching a movie with their friends...etc. Again, they are entertained.

When I'm stressed out, just telling the kids that it is mommy's quiet time helps. Reading a book, watching a video, having a bath in the evening...etc all helps. It's identifying when you're stressed and then finding opportunities to bring it down that helps deal with any chaos. I feel the most calm when I feel the most prepared and that starts with getting enough sleep and just taking care of myself in general. Being flexible and going with the flow is pretty much a must. I stay calm by tackling one thing at a time and trying not to take on too much at once. Prioritizing what the home needs and what the kids need and then setting a goal brings things back down to a manageable level or focus rather than trying to tackle every thing at once works. Hope that makes sense. 

Cheryl

Terra3
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM
I have 9 kids ranging in age from 11 to 11months. Although, I didn't give birth to all of them. After 3 you don't even notice having more. It just gets louder in the house lol. Spacing the kids out helps also because it gives you a chance to focus on each child in their own way instead of trying to treat all the children the same when one child is too advanced for things the younger child is doing and the younger child can't do everything the older child can. I love watching the older kids teach the younger kids new things and it helps me out so I don't feel like I'm doing everything all the time. How do I handle stress? Giving myself timeouts for a few minutes before I handle difficult situations, taking hot baths, reading a book, bake, write, and when it's really bad screaming in a pillow. It's hard to stay calm especially when you deal with difficult or mentally challenged children but just reminding yourself they don't know any better and knowing if you lose it they lose it in return helps to remain calm. A good book to read is The Explosive Child. It primarily focuses on kids with challenging behaviors but I think it's a good book for any parent to read.

By the way, I have a son named Connor as well. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HunnyBabie
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Trying to go in order for you here:

No, having just two was easier (and my third was pretty easy as a baby); things got really hectic at 4.

Number 4 was easier, but that was only b/c #1 was old enough to REALLY help out (and did).

I sit on the floor of my van between the front seats until DH comes to get me; he helps me calm down and remember that I'm not as bad a mom as I think sometimes.

IDK about keeping my cool; send them outside?  Sit in the bathroom and cry (no, that's after I've lost my cool)  IDK, walk away, but that doesn't keep my cool; it just keeps me from yelling at them (it doesn't prevent me being stressed out.

I have 4.  Hope this helps???

ERMDK
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM
#4 will be here in June. My oldest are twins who just turned 3. The middle child is 17 months. Some days, like today, are total chaos. I have a lot of trouble sleeping, though, and there are lots of times I feel too worn out to deal with an irrational 3 year old. DH is pretty understanding, though, and as soon as he gets home I'm going out for a massage. That should help restore my sanity. I actually think it will be better after the baby is here, because my sister will be spending most of the summer with us, and (even getting up several times a night to nurse) I will be sleeping better. I don't recommend having 4 children in just over 3 years (we didn't exactly plan it this way), but I love having a big family!
Nickels224
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I don't think so I have three but my patience is very high. Once in a blue moon I need me time where I just sit and do absolutely nothing with no kids.

Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I have 5 kids ages 10, 9, 7, 5, and 3. They all entertain eachother, but they also create bigger messes and craziness as a group. 

jojo_star
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I have 4 kids, ages 11, 14, 15, and 16. The more kids you have, the harder it is, just because you have more children to care for and raise. I don't get stressed easily, I stay calm because getting worked up and upset does nothing for the sitaution. Besides, I rarely have reason to get upset. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)