Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

need advice I have a blind baby

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm 19 and have 2 kids. Yes I no that is young. I love my kids more than anything and take good care of them. My 1 year old daughter is blind. I don't know what to do or how to Handel it. I've become very depressed. Please help with giving me advice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Replies (11-20):
myranda2317
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Also any ideas on how to get her to sleep at night. I've tried keeping her awake during the day but even if I play with her she will just fall asleep.
NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:15 AM
About 10 miles from my house is a school for the blind. (Minnesota state academy) they have programs for all ages at no cost. Do you have anything like that in your state?
Sunshine257
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Bump
babygirljd
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:53 AM

They do. My daughter had early intervention almost since birth till she was 3. She was born with a congenital heart disease and it caused some delays. They came out and evaluated, and then provided her with neccessary services. It was through our local MHMR program which goes by the name of SAM now. They were able to get her PT/OT/ST and a developement teacher. Hope that helps.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I think you need an early intervention team for PT, OT and all that stuff but not sure if they work with 1 yr olds.   Even those will full sight can be late walkers as late as 2-3 years old.  Hold on to her hands and see if she can walk that way.  There are the exersaucers that she can stand in as well to get used to that position.   A childrens physical therapist would be best bet for walking/crawling.

Quoting myranda2317:

I guess I just want more answers and help. Every time we go to the eye doctor he pulls out his phone and has her try to look at a black and white stripped moving app. He puts it directly in her face and says oh I think she can see something. It really doesn't make any sense to me. I would like to get her to crawl and walk. But they never give me ideas to help that.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What are you expecting them to do and what are they doing?  For a one year old luckily exploration is almost all through touch and sound with some visual of course.  Almost any book for this age has texture to it so those would be something to look into buying for both children.

Quoting myranda2317:

She was born blind. They think she might be able to see something. She has only 20% of her optic nerves. They say surgery is out of the question. I don't like the doctor I have to find her a new one. It's just very hard to do that when I have a new born as well. We are in something called help me grow but they don't really help out

3lilmonsters88
by ★amber★ on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:55 AM
You need to get in touch with the blind society in your area...they have tons of resources and will help you adjust.
nuthousemomm5
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I have a 3 year old diagnosed with Apraxia and can't talk. I, too, was not happy with doctors when I first started voicing my concerns and just didnt feel that anyone had any answers for me. He is my fourth of five kids so I felt it unjust that I was treated as if I was just panicing. Mom's know their kids better than doctors. Because I found a doctor who would listen and I kept pushing for answers, my DS was finally referred to a special evaluation group and now I have some answers. He is believed to have a genetic condition called velocardiofacial syndrome and now we know that is where his apraxia comes from along with them finding a hole in his heart, a cleft palate, and other things. So, my advice would be if the doctor you are currently seeing is not helping you with some answers for your LO look around and meet other doctors till you find one that listens. This will help guide you more with some answers that can help you make decisions for treatment/therapies for your LO. Good luck!

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:40 AM
What state are you in? We have the Perkins school here. They serve as a resource around the world. Google them and their website is very helpful.
cowgirls10181
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Dont move things around try to keep the house the same. A friend has a blind dog and she puts a bell around the other dog for a guide. Maybe a house pet could help in a similar way? I have blind adult friends but they went blind over time. Heres a bump..

Quoting myranda2317:

I guess I just want more answers and help. Every time we go to the eye doctor he pulls out his phone and has her try to look at a black and white stripped moving app. He puts it directly in her face and says oh I think she can see something. It really doesn't make any sense to me. I would like to get her to crawl and walk. But they never give me ideas to help that.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What are you expecting them to do and what are they doing?  For a one year old luckily exploration is almost all through touch and sound with some visual of course.  Almost any book for this age has texture to it so those would be something to look into buying for both children.

Quoting myranda2317:

She was born blind. They think she might be able to see something. She has only 20% of her optic nerves. They say surgery is out of the question. I don't like the doctor I have to find her a new one. It's just very hard to do that when I have a new born as well. We are in something called help me grow but they don't really help out

cowgirls10181
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:51 AM
You might need to do a sleep study to see what the issue is with sleeping at night.

Quoting myranda2317:

Also any ideas on how to get her to sleep at night. I've tried keeping her awake during the day but even if I play with her she will just fall asleep.

kimsamomof3
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:58 AM
A lot of children don't walk until after the age of 1. Since she has more obstacles to overcome it could take a while. There should be lots of resources to help you. Start with googling your state. Also placing for children with disabilities are wonderful. Sometimes they will go to your house and help with therapy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)