Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Feel like I lost control of my 16 yr old daughter

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 22 Replies

I am a mother of 4 children, 3 girls 1 boy, the boy being the youngest 9. Up until a year and a half ago, are family was doing great, the kids do all different sports come home do there homework and do there chores. My 16 yr old started hanging with the wrong crowd and a bad area, I've tried to stop her from hanging out at this place. But now she got to the point she very disrespectful and doesn't do her work, doesnt come home from school and comes come late at night. I've tried to put her in counceling but she refuses, and everywhere I bring her they tell her it's her choice. I'm tired and don't wanna give up on my child, but I don't know what to do anymore. There telling me parents have no right. My other children are still doing what they have to do but they see her getting away with all this stuff. I just don't know anymore

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM
So sorry you're dealing with this. I have two kids, both girls and I'm so afraid of them growing up. Everyone is so quick to blame parenting but what they fail to realize is at the end of the day, teens will do what they want regardless. I hope someone can help you and hopefully your daughter will have a wake up call soon!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I'd be looking for some scared straight group or something.... :( Good luck!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Who is "they" ?  Parents have some rights still but at this age it is almost like you have to watch them fail and be a safety net when it happens.  I wonder what the appeal is to her to hang around the "bad" crowd.

Lilbit848
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Tried need court order, but she need too have a criminal record, I just want to get her counceling

Love-Jones
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Sorry about your trouble.

Since you have young children you will have to do something to punish her or they will get the idea they can get away with being disrespedtful too.

I have some creative ideas hugs

She wants to be grown, give her a taste of the adult life. be creative. Don't give up.

Get Dad and Family involved. Have an intervention. just some ideas... Pray on it and Don't give up!

God Bless!

Jacqui :D 

Lilbit848
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you, I just hope it's not to late

Love-Jones
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

It's never too late with prayer!

You are doing your job...- seeking help!

you rock

im_not_trollin
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM
3 moms liked this

Take away everything but her bed, don't give her money, if she has a car, take it away, if she has a job call them and tell them she can't work their anymore, she is a minor, they have to comply.

Marimaru
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I agree.  You can't make her come home after school, but if you at least do this, your other kids will see that you aren't just letting stuff happen and that you're trying to have consequences.

Quoting im_not_trollin:

Take away everything but her bed, don't give her money, if she has a car, take it away, if she has a job call them and tell them she can't work their anymore, she is a minor, they have to comply.

Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Like a pp said, don't let her have ANY freedoms. If you can, drive her to school and be in front of the school before it gets out. Don't let her go anywhere but school. If she starts mouthing off an slamming doors, take the door off the hinges.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)