Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I desperately need/WANT to lose weight.

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM
  • 10 Replies
I am disgusted by my body. I was losing weight before I got pregnant with our third child - I had actually lost 13 pounds in two weeks. The day I had my C-Section 7 weeks ago, I weighed 249 lbs (and just typing that horrible number makes me want to vomit and cry). Two weeks later I was down to 224. I've been trying to keep myself from sitting too much, which is honestly what I used to do allllll day. I would hang out watching bad tv all day while the kids were at school, then try to get housework done after they got home. I've been staying on my feet as much as possible, but I haven't been exercising.

I want to start working out. My goal is to lose at least 70 pounds (yes, I know that's a big goal and it won't happen overnight). However, we have no gyms anywhere remotely close to us. This was my first C-Section so I don't really know what exercises I should do to get rid of this hideous kangaroo pouch looking thing I've got going on. I've always heard it is harder to lose pounds and inches after a C-Section. Any helpful advice? Know of any diets that actually work?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Diets? No. You need to change your life style. Diets only work until you give them up, so consider what can be changed about the way you eat. Switch white (mostly) for whole grains. Wheat bread, brown rice or cous cous, quinoa etc. Limit white potatoes, they have potassium, so not completely devoid of nutrients. Eat fruit when you want sweets, add more veggies to your diet. Keep meat servings to the size of your palm and try to stick to lean proteins.

Also consider the additives in food. I try to follow the rule that if I can't pronounce it, I don't eat it. Stay away from man made sugars (any thing -ose), mass amounts of corn syrup and artificial sweeteners.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Healthy low carbing is a REALLY great option.

Exercise.

MommyOK
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Give yourself a little break. You didn't gain weight overnight, so don't try to loose it either.  Take your time. Start with little changes in your diet, summer time is coming fresh air and running after the kids will help. AND throw out the mirror for a while.

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
You had a baby 7 weeks ago. You need to let your body heal and go slow. I know it's frustrating but its what is best for you. If you are breastfeeding you'll want to loose slowly so it doesn't effect your milk supply. I was 238 after I had my baby and now am 196. It's been slow and steady but its going to stay off because I changed my lifestyle and food choices instead of 'dieting'. My goal is 140-130 depending on how I look and feel when I get there. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommyhellen
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Look into speeding up your metabolism but whatever you do don't diet

megz0511
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I joined sparkpeople.com and I love it. They'll even give you meal plans if you want for free. I don't diet really, I watch portions and try to stay in the guidelines they give me. I've lost 10 pounds since starting and want to lose another 10-20. I have a ton of energy now, I even look forward to exercising, something I could never say before. I wish I would have started exercising and eating right after I had my baby. He's almost 1 and I'm just now motivated
Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM

First advice is to talk to your doctor. You just had major surgery after all. Make sure you are ready for this.

Second thing is that you need to understand that they cut through the muscles in your stomach. Yeah I know this is logical but I had a stupid trainer. I was told to lay down on the floor and I said no because I would never get back up again. I couldn't even roll onto my side after my son was born. You need to rebuild those muscles.

I joined Planet Fitness for $10 a month and they had a great ab machine that helped me rebuild those muscles at my own pace. Stay really hydrated and make sure you eat properly. Big thing is to avoid sodas and any sugary drinks. They pack on empty calories quickly and the soda will make working out uncomfortable.

The best diet that works great is to eat real food. Eat fruits, vegetables, meat, grains, etc. Don't eat anything (as little as possible) from a box or a can. This will cut back on preservatives and salt which are horrible when trying to lose weight. Yes you can use real salt but those foods have an ungodly amount of sodium. More than you will ever need.

ashley9603
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM

You can lose those 70 pounds,I did.I had twins by c-section.I started working out again(Im a runner)I do take my boys with me after my oldest gets on the bus and go to the park and run with them on nicer days.I run indoors on my treadmill when I cant get outdoors.I also lift too.Focus on getting more active,once you start doing that(whatever excercise you want to do)then start making lifestyle changes with your diet.It will take time,but you will get there.As far as it being harder to lose pounds and inches,it depends on what types of workouts you are doing......good luck.

RADmomma
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:26 PM
I don't have advice but I am with you... We even weigh almost the same!
nuthousemomm5
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM

My husband and I found ourselves in a cycle of weightloss and weightgain. We started a new diet that has heled tremendously. It is a spinoff of the juicing diet. Once every two weeks we pick a day and fast for 24 hours where we drink nothing but veggie and/or fruit juice. You can make it yourself or we choose to buy the Bolthouse Farms juices, mainly the green goodness and while it looks horrible it is actually really good. Then we slowly add normal healthy meals back in. So for the first day we just add dinner back in, then the second day after fast we add a healthy snack back in, then day three we are back up to breakfast, a snack, and dinner, and it goes like that. We drink the juices as meal replacements and snacks so as to still make sure our bodies are getting calories and all the good stuff it needs and the first month we did this I lost 12 lbs and my husband lost 17 lbs. Now it is something that we still do and continue to lose weight with. With five kids, my school schedule and my hubby's work schedule we don't have much time for exercise right now but I'm sure adding that into can generate more weightloss. Hope this helps. My sis is going to med school for this type of medicine stuff and she designed this program. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)