Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

All day every day kindergarten

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:51 AM
  • 287 Replies
They just passed a bill in MN to have all day every day kindergarten. Seems like a bit much to me! I've worked in k-6.

Do you have all day K in your area? How is it working for you and your LO?
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:32 AM
My son goes all day, 2 days a week. Every day would be way too much, IMO.
duejan13th
by ♥Jessica♥ on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:33 AM
Is there a choice once that passes??? My state passes it last year. But I don't want my son in all day every day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alli1204
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a kindergarten teacher. We go all day everyday. Some kiddos take a few weeks to adjust at the beginning of he year but after a while it's no big deal.
Mittenmommie
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:36 AM
1 mom liked this
My son goes all day, all week and he loves it! They do some many different activities during the day and they have what his teacher calls centers (math,reading,writing, spelling) each one is about 10 mins in the morning and 10 in the afternoon so they stay focused. I think it is working great for the kids, they all seem to love it
epoh
by Emerald Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:38 AM
My Dd attends all day kinder 5 days a week. The initial adjustment was a bit rough. The teachers worked to provide an afternoon rest period until Christmas time, then weaned the children from it. It's been great for my DD and her knowledge of things taught is greater than her peers attending half day. That also could be because she's an intellectual sponge and loves learning. :)
Kris_PBG
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:39 AM
6 moms liked this
Our area only has full day and it has been that way for a VERY long time.

As a teacher, I can't imagine how K kids could get to the reading level our district mandates for the end of K without full day. (They are actually supposed to leave K reading on a 1st grade level due to recent increases in reading expectations).

My older son did full day K when in K and my little guy will go next year.

Half day seems so archaic.

(There is also no nap time - the kids do just fine).
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:39 AM

We have no half day kdg anymore in our city.  I'm not sure if it's statewide.

I was a little taken aback when I heard this too.  My nephews(19 & 21 now) are the last kids that I know who went to half day kdg.

The half day stuff is called pre-k now.

I think it's a really long day for 5 and 6 year olds, esp if they never went to preschool.

beeky
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:43 AM

My daughter was 4 when she started kindergarten and she went all day for 5 days a week.  It worked out just fine for both of us.

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:43 AM
They only have full day here. I went to all day, 5 days a week kindergarten and my DD now goes.
kjfamily
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow even weekends. Never heard of that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)