Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Inlaws getting divorced, need advice.

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 8 Replies
My husbands parents have been married about... 40-43years.
They told us yesterday that they are getting a divorce.
What can I do to help my husband thru this?

"Support him".... yea, like how? what do I do?

I've never been through this. My parents were never really together. My grandparents are still happily married.

Don't be harsh!! Just give me some advice please.
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Wow thats really sad for him and his parents I can't imagine being together so long only to end up seperating.  I think everyone handles these things differently and you will have to really just let him "grieve" in his own way and respond according.  Was there some obvious signs that they weren't happy or was this a complete shock?  Sorry I hope for his sake and yours it is something he can come to terms with quickly and there aren't any big issues.

terpmama
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Just be there... Hug him when he needs it, listen when he wants to talk...

asia84
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM
This was a long time coming. I've been in the family 5 years, they weren't happy as couple back then either. :/

Quoting babyspots17:

Wow thats really sad for him and his parents I can't imagine being together so long only to end up seperating.  I think everyone handles these things differently and you will have to really just let him "grieve" in his own way and respond according.  Was there some obvious signs that they weren't happy or was this a complete shock?  Sorry I hope for his sake and yours it is something he can come to terms with quickly and there aren't any big issues.

Jennifer508
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow! How very sad;( My parents are married for 36 years. DJ's mom is on her 3rd marriage. Just stay by his side and listen to him. Reassure him that you love him and let him know that you don't want a divorce.
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this
Just be there. When he needs to talk or gripe, just listen. He will likely go through a range of emotions so dont judge him too harshly.
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Listen to his thoughts. Be careful not to talk about either of his parents harshly.

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM

That's too bad they have been so unhappy for so long but hopefully it will help your dh realize that it is for the best that they are divorcing. 

Quoting asia84:

This was a long time coming. I've been in the family 5 years, they weren't happy as couple back then either. :/

Quoting babyspots17:

Wow thats really sad for him and his parents I can't imagine being together so long only to end up separating.  I think everyone handles these things differently and you will have to really just let him "grieve" in his own way and respond according.  Was there some obvious signs that they weren't happy or was this a complete shock?  Sorry I hope for his sake and yours it is something he can come to terms with quickly and there aren't any big issues.

asia84
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Thank you ladies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)