Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How to deal with domestic violence

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM
  • 10 Replies
Hello everyone. Last week the father of my kids hit me. We had been together on and off for 4 years and this was the first time I ever experienced this. I filed a epo on him. I'm kind of numb from this and don't know how to deal with it. Any advice would be appreciated.
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RADmomma
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM
I don't really have any advice I've never dealt with that.

I'm sorry. Good luck
terpmama
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Stick t o your guns, don't let him sweet talk you back. Find some support (friends, family, court advocate)

29parentof2
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Be glad that you haven't had to deal with that. I'm emotionally messed up at the moment. As far as trying to sweet talk me he hasn't tried. I think he is going to get sent to prison considering he is on probation. But I don't know anything about legal stuff.

Quoting terpmama:

Stick t o your guns, don't let him sweet talk you back. Find some support (friends, family, court advocate)

mommy2zbg
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM

restraining order and police report... and get as far away from him as possible...

dancer
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM

what is an epo?

29parentof2
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Thanks and you are blessed to not have to experience it.

Quoting RADmomma:

I don't really have any advice I've never dealt with that.

I'm sorry. Good luck

free1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Be/stay safe.

Katkinson
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Epo is an emergency protection order. At the very least, DO NOT continue this relationship or move in with him until PROFESSIONAL COUNSELING is completed. There are charities and shelters to help you. Good luck
allstrstolut
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I worked in the domestic violence field for several years and was a victim myself for many years.  Please remember, it's a pattern.  Violence is in many different forms from physical, mental, emotional, verbal and sexual abuse.  Once the violence is started, it usually increases and gets worse.  They will tell you they are sorry many, many times and tell you that it will never happen again.  It more generally happens again.  When a woman goes through this, the man will tell them whatever they think the woman wants to hear to stay or come back.  Then it will be what is called "the honeymoon" stage.  It lasts a short time and then the violence starts again.  Like I said, it's a pattern.  There is help out there.  Take advantage of all the help that is offered in your area.   Restraining order is a good place to start.  When they break it (as long as you report it is being broken) they will be arrested.  Be strong and stick to your guns.  Prayers going out to you.

29parentof2
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Thanks. It's hard to deal with especially with him being ny kids father and the love of my life. So I thought
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)