Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

relocated

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM
  • 11 Replies

my son is 5 years old..and in kindergarden. about 2 months ago we move from ohio to indiana. since then he has started back to school and settled into his routine ( which im very strict on) but for some reason he keeps getting in trouble in school. its not like hes bullying kids or acting crazy but he just wont stop talking. and his teacher reports that he is fridgetty and has a hard time staying on task. now any dr would scream adhd and want to put him on medication. which agreed is needed for some children, but where is the fine line between needing medical intervention and him just being a 5 year old little boy, full of life. please help!

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
klind523
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM

He may just be acting up because of his new surrounding and the other kids in his class. I say give him a few more weeks to adjust. Have you tried talking to him? Maybe he is just following his classmates.

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I agree with this. I think it may just be his way of adjusting to all the change.

Quoting klind523:

He may just be acting up because of his new surrounding and the other kids in his class. I say give him a few more weeks to adjust. Have you tried talking to him? Maybe he is just following his classmates.

keagyn07
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:27 PM

this could be the case...that hes still just adjusting. and yea weve talked about it,,,everyday he comes home and didnt have good news. ive grounded and punished and thats not working. so my next step was to contact his teacher. which is when she adressed the issue that he is fridgetty and has a hard time staying on task. ive requested a meeting with her, to get a full understanding of whats happening. my mom on the other hand suggests that hes "just a little boy" and suggested that maybe he should be sat away from the other kids while they do work...i mean they have the kids surrounded around tables of 4 to 5. i can imagine why it would be hard to controll the chatting.

Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have him tested.  I hate to see a child get in trouble for things that appear to be "normal" kid things.  We thought the same thing with  my grandson but "normal" kid wasn't the case.  Figiting and inability to stay on tasks are signs of ADHD.  Just my opinion and what we've been through

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Welcome to CafeMom,
Could be as the others have said just the new surroundings,
However wouldn't hurt to speak with your pedi & maybe have him tested :)

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM

If this was not a problem before the move, I sort of doubt it is ADD. I would give it a while longer, school is almost over for the year anyway, and maybe if he can spend time with his classmates during the summer, he will be better adjusted next year. If not, then you could have him evaluated.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM
What part of Indiana? I am in Elkhart. Does he have a physical outlet for energy? My son is very similar. Once we got him started with hockey, he still has some issues but seems to be doing better. My son will be 6 in June.
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:24 AM

hi! welcome to the group!

could it be that your son is bored with his classes? maybe he is more advanced?and needs to be challenged more?  also getting him in a sports activity would help too!

jconney80
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group! My kids have ADHD symptoms with Aspergers and it is a very real problem that they fidget and can't focus or stay on task. They're very impulsive to and just hyper. I'd check out The Autism and ADHD Diet. Have him tested for sensory processing disorder first through the occupational therapist at the school. They can offer him help in class. My kids need lots of chances to get exercise. The diet above helped my kids a lot! Cut out the need for meds. I'd have the school district evaluate him to give him all the support he needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:57 AM

He may need time to adjust. Keep being consistant with him. Maybe make some play dates so he can make some one on one friends to help him fit in!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)