Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Problem: Someone help!

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have a problem that I really have no idea how to solve. My boyfriend use to live with his parents and now we have our own apartment that we recently just moved into. Well, when he lived with his parents their gas bill was in his name because his mom and step dad didn't want it in their name for some reason. Well, now that we moved their high bill is coming to where we live now. And we have two children living here and neither of us can afford to pay off their bill that they do not want to seem to claim. Does anyone have any idea what we can do since they won't do the right thing and claim their own bill?

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fjamrkr
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Call the company, tell them you haven't lived there since (when you left) and tell them to turn the service off.
Buggy979
by Danette on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM
3 moms liked this
Turn off the gas that's in his name. Tell them that you have moved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jelinekh
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Well, we did call and tell them that. They said because it was in his name it is his responsibilty to pay the bill even if it was not his bill in the first place. But my problem is I need to get his mom or his step dad to tell the company that it is their bill so we don't have to end up paying their $800 bill. I know for a fact that I don't want to end up paying that high bill. We just can't afford it.

jelinekh
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM

The gas has been turned off over there, but for our gas to be turned on over at our new apartment in his name he has to pay off his parents bill from their house. Which I don't think that he should have to pay in the first place. I believe that it's their responsibilty because they are his parents and it should have been in their names in the first place not their child.

Fjamrkr
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM
He could always bring up the issue in small claims court. Or just threaten to.

"We'll get a lawyer and you'll have to cover those expenses too plus time off from work." Type of thing.
It makes me sound really terrible but I wouldn't cover anyone's $800 bill either. They're adults and they need to accept their responsibilities.

Quoting jelinekh:

Well, we did call and tell them that. They said because it was in his name it is his responsibilty to pay the bill even if it was not his bill in the first place. But my problem is I need to get his mom or his step dad to tell the company that it is their bill so we don't have to end up paying their $800 bill. I know for a fact that I don't want to end up paying that high bill. We just can't afford it.

NerTheGreatMom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:16 PM

It's best that you and hubby talk about this, make a common stand ... then arrange a face-to-face meeting with his parents ... then dicusss the issue with them ... with your suggested stand/ solution...  At the same time, being respectful of his parents during the discussion.

If you are not comfortable with personal meeting -- you start off with an email.

But be aware that email can be misunderstood. There's nothing better than a sit-down personal talk done in a mature, adult manner.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
If the bill is in his name, he is responsible for making sure it's paid. His parents should do the right thing and pay but ultimately (and legally) he is responsible.

Quoting jelinekh:

The gas has been turned off over there, but for our gas to be turned on over at our new apartment in his name he has to pay off his parents bill from their house. Which I don't think that he should have to pay in the first place. I believe that it's their responsibilty because they are his parents and it should have been in their names in the first place not their child.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cgarlic
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know why adults do this to their kids (even adult). I would approach them together. They should care enough about you guys especially the kids to pay it.

Can you get the bill in your name?
jelinekh
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM

My mother said something to me about taking them to small claims court, but is it really that bad to come down to doing thaat? I wouldn't want to have to streach this problem that far you know. I tried talking to them, but his step dad is a asshole who bitches all the time with no job. And his mom just does anything so she doesn't listen to him bitch. I tried to put the bill in my name, but since we have two kids living here the gas has to be in the persons name who has a constant income since I stay home with the kids.

RADmomma
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM
I've never heard that. I'm a sahm & all of our utilities are in my name. It's easier for us that way, if we have an issue I'm home & can call.

Quoting jelinekh:

My mother said something to me about taking them to small claims court, but is it really that bad to come down to doing thaat? I wouldn't want to have to streach this problem that far you know. I tried talking to them, but his step dad is a asshole who bitches all the time with no job. And his mom just does anything so she doesn't listen to him bitch. I tried to put the bill in my name, but since we have two kids living here the gas has to be in the persons name who has a constant income since I stay home with the kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)