Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Looking for a family or mom of a special needs child who can tell me about their and your transition from Preschool to Kindergarten. :)

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:44 PM
  • 19 Replies

Basically I sumed it up in the title. Just looking to get some insight to what a family of a child with special needs goes through during this time. Describe the issues you faced during the transition as well as your concerns as a parent and any problems you child may have gone through, physically or emotionally.

I am in Early Childhood Development and hope to specialize in Special Education or children with ASD.

Thanks! If anyone can help :)

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Do you have a specific special need in mind or all of them in general?

masesmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

No! Not at all. It can be a simple as a learning delay to severe physical disability. :)

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Quoting masesmom:

Quoting frndlyfn:

No! Not at all. It can be a simple as a learning delay to severe physical disability. :)

My dd did not go to preschool which put her at a disadvantage but thankfully her kindergarten teacher has 30+ years experience so she noticed right away dd had a few delays to be addressed.  She is in 1st grade now and is doing very well aside from writing difficulties.  We are figuring now there is processing misfires which causes her not able to write down her own original thoughts but they can be dictated to someone else to write down.

ccmvm
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:12 AM

following :). Because my DD's bday is after the cutoff she gets another year of preschool (which i think she needs so she can continue to improve her speech and social emotional skills) but I worry all the time about what ifs and how things will be when she is out of her EI preschool and into kinder and beyond!

masesmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Thats interesting! Does your daughter have a IEP (Individualized Education Program)?  I have read about the relations between senory stimulation and issues with the brain telling the body what to do.

Quoting fr
Quoting masesmom
Quoting frndlyfn:

My dd did not go to preschool which put her at a disadvantage but thankfully her kindergarten teacher has 30+ years experience so she noticed right away dd had a few delays to be addressed.  She is in 1st grade now and is doing very well aside from writing difficulties.  We are figuring now there is processing misfires which causes her not able to write down her own original thoughts but they can be dictated to someone else to write down.

masesmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Thats great! Thanks for responding, I hope you can get some insight to the transition period!

Quoting ccmvm:

following :). Because my DD's bday is after the cutoff she gets another year of preschool (which i think she needs so she can continue to improve her speech and social emotional skills) but I worry all the time about what ifs and how things will be when she is out of her EI preschool and into kinder and beyond!

rosaleeandtwo
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:55 AM

It was challenging. At 5 he was already in a room for cognitive delays, but the district was stalling on listing him as having autism on his IEP. The autism allowed him to transfer to a school dedicated to kids with special needs, and my guess is its expensive to operate so they aren't in a rush to take the kids out of mainstream. But when I started even mentioning filing a complaint they stepped it up, and the school itself is amazing. Also by that age it was at least manageable since he was starting to communicate through the pics (almost no spontaneous speech), which I think helped a lot. Before that he would just have fits for hours and I would know something was frustrating him, but since he couldn't talk at all he'd just scream and sometimes bang his head or chest.

But honestly those problems were nothing compared to him going into puberty. He's almost 16 and these past two years have been more difficult then all the rest before combined. .

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Yes she does.  Everyone loves her and she loves the one on one attention.  She was just "promoted" to only needing one day a week of communication from needing 2 days a week.  I think OT helps with her writing skills.  I feel lucky so far that there is such a supportive team in place for her.

Quoting masesmom:

Thats interesting! Does your daughter have a IEP (Individualized Education Program)?  I have read about the relations between senory stimulation and issues with the brain telling the body what to do.

Quoting fr
Quoting masesmom
Quoting frndlyfn:

thatgirl70
by Carin on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:19 AM

We actually chose to forego Kindergarten (he was in PPCD the school year before that) and kept him home instead for the school year. I did attempt to formally homeschool with a curriculuum, but was not successful, Of course, we teach life lessons, and he has educational apps. Otherwise, we focus on his therapies, which he has weekly: speech, occupational and group. 

The reason we chose not to send him is because we knew that he was not ready. He would have gone from being in a classroom of 10 kids, one teacher and two aides, into a classroom of 20+, one teacher and no aide. He was receiving the barest amount of therapy the school could provide, which was not enough. With the amount of therapy he has received privately, he's gained so much and we feel he'll make a successful transistion to school next fall. We have an ARD next month to discuss his return and to go over his IEP.

My son has dyspraxia (and he has been diagnosed with ASD, but it keeps flipflopping--the dyspraxia fits him to a T). This is a chart in which I marked what he is affected by the most (anything with a n/a are things that we have not dealt with yet). Edit: And some I was not sure about--like hopping, he can do two footed hopping, but not one foot (just to give an example).

And the regular, unmarked chart:

opinionatedmom
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Mine is ppcd this year for hearing problems. Long story short surgeries have helped. He is supposed to go to kindergarten next year.his teacher is suggesting to put him regular pre k next year instead. Because ppcd runs slower than regular pre k. So he will be behind in kindergarten. But his sentence structure is bad so I am going to ask for ppcd over the summer first. His sentence structure is about equal to a 2 yr old. I haven't decided what to do yet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)