Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

is it illegal for management to discuss my medical condition with other employees

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM
  • 31 Replies

hello everyone, i posted in another group but only got one response so i thought id try it in here. I went to my ob and they couldn't find the baby's heartbeat, i was hysterical and told my hubby to call into work and tell them i wasn't coming in today and now management has told my fellow co workers aboout it and i'm angry and embarassed and feel that it wasn't her place to tell anyone about what had happend. are there any laws to protect my privacy

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM

What they tell them exactly?  That you suffered a tragedy or that you would not be coming in due to it.  Honestly I am not aware of any laws concerning this in a work place.  You may want to look up employee rights / employment laws for your state. 

mbc324
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Thats breaking confidentiality. It is against the law for your boss to tell anyone anything about you.

momto2crazykids
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM

my hubby told the manager that we were at the hospital and they couldn't find the baby's heart beat and that i wouldn't be in today, the manager told other employees that i had lost the baby

wrapy_mommy90
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM
yes its called hypa
Mommytoaangel
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM
This an please keep us updated an hugs

Quoting mbc324:

Thats breaking confidentiality. It is against the law for your boss to tell anyone anything about you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto2crazykids
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM

she told them i had lost the baby, i'm angry and embarassed because i haven't even told my mother or best friend what happend but people at work already know and are texting me saying how sorry they are

Quoting frndlyfn:

What they tell them exactly?  That you suffered a tragedy or that you would not be coming in due to it.  Honestly I am not aware of any laws concerning this in a work place.  You may want to look up employee rights / employment laws for your state. 

smurfy88
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I am pretty sure it's illegal... Definitely look up your state laws and don't let it go!
kim8934
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:28 AM

sorry for your loss.  I work for a fairly large company, we are taught to contact the medical department for any medical issues, the manager isn't even told.  Even though there are hipaa laws, the medical facility didn't release the information.  I'm sure your manager had good intentions, he/she just went about it in the wrong way.

mysticatgal
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:55 AM
It's called HIPPA (health information privacy and protection act). You need specific information on what they said but look this up and it'll get you started.
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:58 AM
I would rip them a new one. But it's not HIPPA because they don't work with such information. It was something you said over the phone and they gossiped forward and not the right way if I may add. My boss would have ripped me a new one of I texte you at all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN