Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My child is not allow to have her inhaler with her at school?!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM
  • 125 Replies
2 moms liked this

Today I sent my daughter to school with an inhaler after I have turned in all the paperwork that I had been given to give to the school, on top of the school's paperwork.  My daughter told me today she couldn't do PE, I asked why and they told me it because she wasn't allow to take her inhaler. I got pissed, why the hell did they tell my daughter that she cannot take her medicine by doctor's order that she has to take it before every excercise activities. They made her sit in the office!  This does not make me very happy! I know there's a law where she is protected saying that she IS allow to carry them and etc.

upate: For right now I'm just having her keep it with her in her backpack.  She needs it close by at all time, she knows when to take it and etc and I have also explain that she CANNOT share this with anyone whatsoever, she can get into a lot of trouble let alone the school and the parents.  Just make sure you take them before lunch recess and PE.  Those time are the longest activties, and if she really need them, go get it from the backpack and take it and if the teacher or any staff from the school tells her she cannot take it tell them to call me asap. I was beyond pissed the last time, and she knows it. what makes me more mad than ever, is that the school never even bother to call me at all, they waited until I got to school to pick her up.  What if there was a real emergency they are gonna wait until I show up to pick up my daughter?!   Those moms who are saying that the other kids could get to it and etc.  What about the kids who need their inhalers ASAP?

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catrig
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:14 AM
talk to the school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikandwheezy
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM
2 moms liked this

as long as she has a doctors note by law they cant refuse it. the school i went to they would suspend you if you brought midol without a note if the principal was in a bad mood or just didnt like you. 

aodom323
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:18 AM
4 moms liked this

I was in High School whenever my asthma got really bad.  So I sneaked my inhalor, my mom didn't care if she got in trouble at least she knew that her daughter was going to be able to breath.  I would raise holy hell though.  I know first hand how scarey asthma attacks can be and I pray my son won't have it. 

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:20 AM
What the heck? That makes no sense. What's the point in even having it at school if she can't use it when she needs it? I would be calling.
KayelynnsMama
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM

That's how it was at my school. You had to keep the inhaler in the office locked up. My little brother had severe asthma and couldn't wait to get his inhaler if he had an attack. My mom made sure he had one in his book bag everyday. It was worth the risk to her for him to carry it around.

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM
How old is your DD?
lovebugs_mom906
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:30 AM
That's what I was wondering. Generally, medication is to be kept in the nurses/school office and administered by an adult, usually a nurse.

Quoting Kylie819:

How old is your DD?
Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:34 AM
My DD carries her inhaler with her, but she's in 6th grade. Some schools prefer to hold on to the inhalers of younger kids..though if they go that route, she should be given quick and easy access to it.

Quoting lovebugs_mom906:

That's what I was wondering. Generally, medication is to be kept in the nurses/school office and administered by an adult, usually a nurse.

Quoting Kylie819:

How old is your DD?
creneep83
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM

She's going to be 7 in a few weeks and if it locked in the office and she needs it asap then it will be too long because her classroom is in the back of the school and the office is too far fromw where her classroom is. and the nurse is at the school once a week, there's an adult there that will give to students their meds when there is no nurse there.  

Quoting Kylie819:

My DD carries her inhaler with her, but she's in 6th grade. Some schools prefer to hold on to the inhalers of younger kids..though if they go that route, she should be given quick and easy access to it.

Quoting lovebugs_mom906:

Quoting Kylie819:

How old is your DD?

Jamie1972
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:52 AM

sounds like maybe your dd is to keep her inhaler in the nurses office but no one there to help her. so they had her sit out pe. call the school and find out exactky what happened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN