Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is it rude?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:37 AM
  • 9 Replies

I just got a text from a former neighbor that is having a housewarming party.  She stated in the text they didn't want gifts but wanted gift cards from walmart or another store.............is that rude?  Personally, I wouldn't never tell someone what to bring to my housewarming.  I would state no gifts and leave it at that....

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
goddiddlyumshis
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Yeah, thats rude and tacky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Yeah i'd say pretty damn rude  >.<

jazzgirl205
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM

According to the ettiquette books, even requesting no gifts is rude.  It assumes people will bring gifts.  Expecting gifts is considered rude in itself.  If I were brazen enough to ask for gift cards, they sure wouldn't be from walmart.

"Hi.  I just moved in and am having a housewarming party.  While I expect you to bring a gift, I really don't trust your taste so I'm asking that all my tacky friends just give me Williams-Sonoma gift cards."

Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM

These people used to live upstairs across from us for about 3 yrs.  We've been here 11 yrs and met a lot of people.  These two were the worst.  They fought all the time and screamed and yelled constantly........the only time she really talked to me is when she wanted something or felt obligated to talk if several of us were outside at the same time.

I just found it tacky that you ask for gift cards.  What happened to accepting what someone wants to give you?  When I saw that I thought oh hell no, not even going.  I was never close to them but I did watch their son when my gs was here because they played together and I watched her newborn a few times but other than that, nothing.  I even loaned her my carpet cleaner and vacuum and both came back with some piece missing.

Sorry for the rant, I was just wondering what other people thought about that text........thanks

RADmomma
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Yeah... Rude.

Lovingmommy1028
by Vanessa on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM

BUMP!

mommyofgirl1974
by Lyn on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Yes,  rude in my opinion.

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Definitely rude. I got an invitation to a baby shower from a girl and in every one she included a print out of exact things she wanted specific people to buy her.... That way she would get everything she wanted and no doubles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bottomline
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Oh-my-lanta! Expect much?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)