Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Overbearing mother-in-law

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM
  • 7 Replies
Obviously from the subject you know what this is about. Before having my baby boy 2 months ago I never had a problem with my MIL but since my baby was born she is just getting under my skin!
My husband started a new job right after the baby was born and his mom was the one who stayed with me for the first week which was great but then she kept coming over EVERYDAY and one day I was a bit irritable when she brought over 2 family members to my house at 8pm and then she stopped but she cried to my husband about it saying she needs to get used to not seeing the baby everyday.
She also recently started referring to herself as "ma ma" and I feel so uncomfortable about that and I told her she can have a nickname but not that.
I also invite her over but she will never call me to ask to come by but then she cries about things and is just manipulative and passive aggressive.
Btw she is Hispanic and I'm Caucasian I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LizzieAnnesMom
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Race has nothing to do with this, im not sure why you think it does. Sit her down and set boundries, if she breaks them, stop allowing her over.
KayLundy3
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
My family is Hispanic.. we called my grandmother Mama.. I have a few overbearing MILs in my family. They mean well.. you are going to gave to speak up. Let her know that she cannot come by without calling or everyday period. If she cries she cries. Oh well. As long as you aren't completely shutting her out you're not being mean.
Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Be honest, tell her you wished she would call before just dropping by, especially bringing other people.  If she cries to your husband then he will have to stand up to his mom and back you up.  Congrats on your new baby

Ericamegan
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I really do want her involved she's a very nice and helpful woman but I feel like she wants to take over. The only time boundaries are set are when I say something and then she cries. One day I invited her over early in the day and she called me back my husband picked up the phone and she wound up coming over at like 9! I mentioned while she was over that we're creating a schedule for him and she left within 5 min and went home crying and then my husband's father and brother called him. It's ridiculous.
Kyndrasmom
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM

i know the feeling< my mil does way to much for my now 3 yr old. not only her but my sister in law! they make me feel like i dont know what im doing at times.  i know they mean well but i had my husband to talk to them.

OwlNuggets
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM

ACTUALLY Hispanic families are notorious for their high placement of family values.

I learned all about cultural-wide family value systems in an anthropology course I took like 100 years ago.
Hispanic families and Oriental families place the highest value on family. 

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Race has nothing to do with this, im not sure why you think it does. Sit her down and set boundries, if she breaks them, stop allowing her over.

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8.gif
Ericamegan
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM
I feel like my hubby won't say anything bc in a sense it seems as though he puts his parents first.
They live within like a 3 min walk of us. We've been together for 4 years. This whole situation is very difficult bc my hubby is a momma's boy in a way.

Quoting Kyndrasmom:

i know the feeling< my mil does way to much for my now 3 yr old. not only her but my sister in law! they make me feel like i dont know what im doing at times.  i know they mean well but i had my husband to talk to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN