Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can turtles climb?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:04 PM
  • 8 Replies

We discovered a turtle is living in our yard yesterday. We cannot figure out HOW it got there.  There is a 7-12 inch stone lip around 3/4 of the yard, our house with a solid base is at the other 1/4.  With the exception of a small open area with a step leading down into the yard - there is chain-link everywhere else right down to the concrete wall (the lip).

We also live 28 steps up from the street and have a 5 foot high wall behind the house.

So......do turtles climb?  Maybe up stairs?  I am trying to figure out how this turtle got in our yard.  It is about 9 inches long....some type of box-turtle, though I'm not sure about the type (turtles are wild here....so I'm pretty sure it isn't someone's pet).

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
87angel
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM

yes we had lots of turtles where i lived growing up and they would climb over our chian link fence and sometimes they would get stuck and my mom would have to rescue them

TableforSeven
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Quoting 87angel:

yes we had lots of turtles where i lived growing up and they would climb over our chian link fence and sometimes they would get stuck and my mom would have to rescue them

Ah.  Cool, thanks.  I don't really know anything about turtles.....this explains a lot.

jojo_star
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Yes, I think they can!

Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Yes. Just give it some leafy greens or melon. It'll probably leave as quick as it came.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Yes they can climb.   We once found a sea turtle in our yard and we were not near any water ways it could live in.  No clue how it got there unless someone had one and let it go free.

TableforSeven
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Quoting Chris030406:

Yes. Just give it some leafy greens or melon. It'll probably leave as quick as it came.

Our yard is a never-ending buffet for it....the rainy season just ended and there is a ton of leafy-green stuff everywhere and the trees are blooming.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Oh yes. We have a pet turtle who climbs everywhere. She is a comedian. Turtles are great friends to have.
godsgirl26
Finally home with my family and im loving it. Until i have to get ready to go back to my mom's to take care of her im ENJOYING myself ♥
Today at 12:18 PM
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Idk. But i love tortoise's they are beautiful. I will be getting one soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)