Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why do people plan their s*** on long Holiday weekends?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM
  • 70 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you have any kind of event on a weekend in which people typically have plans to travel???

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

Drives me BATTY!

My nephews Bday is on May 28th, and every year SIL has his bday party Memorial day weekend! We live 2 1/2 hours away and they never invite us to stay for the weekend... JUST one night. So, because she has it on a Saturday of Memorial Day weekend EVERY year, when we go we pretty much give up our entire holiday weekend for a day trip, when what we would REALLY like to do is go camping. She can't have it the weekend before, or the weekend after... always, and only, on Memorial Day Weekend. Grrrrr!!!

DD turns 6 this year. Her bday is on June 30th. She had a 1st Bday party, 3rd bday party, and a 5th Birthday party...  all of which were scheduled to avoid the July 4th Holiday A) because I don't expect SIL and MIL to travel every year for her bday (in fact, I NEVER *expect* them to attend because it is such a distance and would completely understand!!!)  and B) Because I would never ask anyone to give up their entire holiday weekend for a 3 hour event.

We didn't go to my nephews bday last year. We went camping. This year? We are camping again. MIL is pissed. I just started a new job and don't have vacation this year... so we are really utilizing our long weekends over the summer and paid $1900 for our camper to stay at a resort for the year. So, I am pissed that SIL and MIL put us in a position to have to choose. I feel like they are very inconsiderate of other peoples time and plans.

That's my rant. Thx for listening.

A CAMPING WE WILL GO - Do you LOVE to camp? Maybe something you've never done but would like to try? Join us for camping conversation, reviews, tips, recipes, and more!http://www.cafemom.com/group/118687

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM
My birthday sometimes falls on Labor Day weekend. I never had parties because chances were everyone was out of town.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RADmomma
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:13 PM
I think it's rude to expect you to come on a holiday weekend.
working-girl
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I can see every now and then... but for instance, this year, why couldn't she have it the first Saturday in June? Next year it would make more sense for it to be on May 31st, but that won't happen.

Quoting RADmomma:

I think it's rude to expect you to come on a holiday weekend.

A CAMPING WE WILL GO - Do you LOVE to camp? Maybe something you've never done but would like to try? Join us for camping conversation, reviews, tips, recipes, and more!http://www.cafemom.com/group/118687

RADmomma
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My DH doesn't get vacation time so those 3 day weekends are like gold to us. I'm not giving them up lol!!

Quoting working-girl: I can see every now and then... but for instance, this year, why couldn't she have it the first Saturday in June? Next year it would make more sense for it to be on May 31st, but that won't happen.

Quoting RADmomma:I think it's rude to expect you to come on a holiday weekend.

mama_l
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM
You have your child's bday party (while only biannually) on a major holiday weekend so why does it drive you batty when your sister does it too?
sarah824
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM

So her scheduling over Memorial Day is wrong, but you scheduling over the 4th of July is ok? I guess I don't see how that works.

Your reasoning behind only scheduling your daughter's b-day doesn't make sense either, especially since you didn't go to your nephews party last year.If you are only going to go sometimes then what is the difference? 

EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM

It's annoying. My DS's birthday is close to Thanksgiving. Close enough that we usually plan his party on a different weekend. Sadly every year DS's friend's parents use Thanksgiving break as an excuse... even at the beginning of November or 2 1/2 weeks before XMas.

working-girl
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I have NEVER scheduled over 4th of July. Either you misread or I did not properly convey that point.

I only have bday parties for DD every other year so that MIL and SIL don't feel pressure to travel for it every year.

Quoting sarah824:

So her scheduling over Memorial Day is wrong, but you scheduling over the 4th of July is ok? I guess I don't see how that works.

Your reasoning behind only scheduling your daughter's b-day doesn't make sense either, especially since you didn't go to your nephews party last year.If you are only going to go sometimes then what is the difference? 

MyahsMom
by Heather on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM
No, she said she avoids the holiday weekend.

Quoting mama_l:

You have your child's bday party (while only biannually) on a major holiday weekend so why does it drive you batty when your sister does it too?

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell her that if she wants you guys to attend then either have her daughter change the damn party to before or after the holiday or to put you up for the whole damn holiday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN