Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If someone gets approved for SSI do they have to pay child support for a order that was set into place years ago?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:43 PM
  • 42 Replies

My husband had a child with his ex before we got together. When I met him they were going to court for custody. he eventually got full custody because this woman just don't care about the child. I have been a mother to her since she was 6 months old, and she is almost 9 years old now. His ex might call once a year or stop by once a year to give her a gift and say I love you. She has went 3 years with out seeing her at all..... the judge always lets her get some kind of visitations no matter the length she disappears.

Anyways....

She owes over 6,000 in child support that she was ordered to pay in 09. She sent me a picture of her acceptance letter for SSI ( i think she said for mental issues *oh plz*). She then replied " I don't have to pay any of that child support."

Is this true?

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:46 PM
No

http://www.supportguidelines.com/articles/art200404.html

unlike Social Security benefits, SSI benefits are not subject attachment for the purpose of spousal support or child support. 42 U.S.C.A. ยง 407(a) (providing that none of the moneys paid or payable under subchapter II shall be subject to execution, levy, attachment, garnishment, or other legal process
childofGod995
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:49 PM

i know of someone who has mental problems who is filing for social security disability and is getting it, and he was told he did not have to pay child support cause he could not work.

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Take the letter to child support enforcement yes you can get your money they should garnish back pay they did for my dad.
aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Really. That's good if they do.

Quoting DACIA79:

Take the letter to child support enforcement yes you can get your money they should garnish back pay they did for my dad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristinhas4kids
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Did your dad have SSI or SSDI?

Quoting DACIA79:

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Quoting aprilsalcro:

The catch is if its SSI or SSDI
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Quoting Kristinhas4kids:

Yeah that's the catch SSDI but if she wrote on that letter that she didn't have to pay child support I would claim that she did it to get out of child support maybe you can stir up some trouble.
marmie41
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:04 AM
I have no clue this question is best answered by an attorney.
iluvmykids594
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:10 AM
My kids father gets ssdi and they take 222.30 out of his check every month its less then what he is supposed to pay but they do take out
Kristinhas4kids
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

The girl has not worked a day in her life. I really can not believe how easy it was for her to get SSI.... took 3 years of waiting but she will have free money forever now. 

Quoting iluvmykids594:

My kids father gets ssdi and they take 222.30 out of his check every month its less then what he is supposed to pay but they do take out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)