Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If someone gets approved for SSI do they have to pay child support for a order that was set into place years ago?

My husband had a child with his ex before we got together. When I met him they were going to court for custody. he eventually got full custody because this woman just don't care about the child. I have been a mother to her since she was 6 months old, and she is almost 9 years old now. His ex might call once a year or stop by once a year to give her a gift and say I love you. She has went 3 years with out seeing her at all..... the judge always lets her get some kind of visitations no matter the length she disappears.

Anyways....

She owes over 6,000 in child support that she was ordered to pay in 09. She sent me a picture of her acceptance letter for SSI ( i think she said for mental issues *oh plz*). She then replied " I don't have to pay any of that child support."

Is this true?

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Its sad that people who really need it can't get it
MommyO2-6631
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:02 AM
no. My dad won't file for ssi because he owes back child support and they would take it to pay to his ex wife
cgarlic
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM
In NJ my DD's dad has to pay $44 a month! He is on SSI & SSDI, his lawyer argued that I made more working part time for $8 per hr & the judge told him its still his responsibility to support his child.
MrsCarnes88
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
No my ex has complete kidney failure almost 3 yrs ago and he has ssdi now child support takes his regular monthly payment out of his check automatically and also an additional 97$ a month for back support until what is owed is payed off... Call ur local cs office inform them of it and request a court ordered save attachment..
MrsCarnes88
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM
In Maryland the minimum child support payment per child is 185$ a month..
patticoss
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM
No. She has to go to court and then SSDI will start sending you a check for her. There is a process to this.
specialwingz
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:39 PM

My twin boys' biological mother is on SSI for permanent mental damage from drug abuse.  She had to pay child support that was deducted from her monthly SSI check until they graduated high school.

dallascowboys82
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM
It took me two years to get mine and they took the lump sum and broke it up. I would get a lump sum every six months. So she may not get the whole lump sum right off the bat.
I to will have to go though a review every three years. I have only been getting mine for almost a year. But I have to follow the guidelines..stay on meds, keep in therapy, and see my bipolar doctor once a month.

Quoting gma12.1:

She may not have the free money forever. Every so many years there is a re-evaulation to see if your disability is still there. I receive social security disability for a mental illness and had to go thru a review every 3 years. I know of ppl who received the ssdi then after many years had it terminated because it was decided that they no longer qualified. I would check with a lawyer to make sure one way or another. If she still has to pay then make sure to file the proper paperwork and have it deducted from her check. Oh and she will receive an initial lump sum payment going back to the day she first applied so she will have 3 yrs worth of benefits in one large check then she will receive a check every month for a specified amount. So if she still has to pay child support she will have the funds to pay the back support. Good Luck!

Quoting Kristinhas4kids:

The girl has not worked a day in her life. I really can not believe how easy it was for her to get SSI.... took 3 years of waiting but she will have free money forever now. 

Quoting iluvmykids594:

My kids father gets ssdi and they take 222.30 out of his check every month its less then what he is supposed to pay but they do take out

dallascowboys82
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
It took me two years. I must have seen at least seven different doctors, I had to be admitted into a long term (it was two months total) placement. It was hard being from my family but I needed help. I was so depressed and I did what I had to do. I ment with the states top doctors. They really put me though a lot.
I hate when seeing people like me truly need it and can't get it, but people like the op's dd bio mom..sometimes the system really sucks.

Quoting silverdawn99:

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM
My mil is partially deaf, can hardly see, arthritis, epilepsy, hard to understand, and has a bad foot but she still can't get it

Quoting dallascowboys82:

It took me two years. I must have seen at least seven different doctors, I had to be admitted into a long term (it was two months total) placement. It was hard being from my family but I needed help. I was so depressed and I did what I had to do. I ment with the states top doctors. They really put me though a lot.

I hate when seeing people like me truly need it and can't get it, but people like the op's dd bio mom..sometimes the system really sucks.

Quoting silverdawn99:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)