Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Gall bladder issues update

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM
  • 19 Replies
Can anyone describe to me what gall bladder attack symptoms are like?
Update: I had an appt with the surgeon and I have surgery to get my gallbladder removed on Thursday! I am relieved that the pain will be over but curious if there is any changes that you had to make after the surgery to your everyday life and if you noticed anything different? Like everyone before surgery I'm nervous and scared
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Meg10
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Mine feels like really bad heartburn. I have gallstones so when they act  up it feels like I have terrible heartburn and that usually happens when I have a lot of stress.

sewingmama88
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I had really bad pain and couldn't keep anything down water food nothing for weeks. i ended up going to the er bc i couldn't take it anymore. they did an ultrasound and i had sluge in my gallbladder and had to have a test done to find out i had to have it taken out

DSamuels
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM
I had really bad pain in the center to right side of my chest about where the bottom of your bra hits. The first attack didn't last too long. The second lasted for hours and the pain didn't go away until I threw up a few times. Even though the pain had subsided I still had hubby take me to the ER based on symptoms and duration of the pain. They scheduled an ultrasound the following week and I had surgery about two weeks later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ebbierowe
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM

with my hubby he had a lot of pain in his upper right quadrent...right around where your rib cage ends...he would vomit or dry heave. it usually happend after eating something with alot of fat in it. He would also get very hot and flushed

For me it was just pain but I didn't have gallstones my gallbladder actually stopped working.

DKk0531
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I started having these attacks this past tues...have had one every night. Im 13 weeks preg and they hurt like hell! It starts on my right side, right below my rib cage, within 20 mins it starts moving up, spreading all the way around my chest, ribs, back, shoulders. It usually peaks at about 2 hrs and that is the worse pain i have felt in my entire life. Compare it to child birth, child birth is like a .1 on the pain scale. I tear out handfulls of hair, i bit dhs foot because he was in my way while i was trying to crawl from bathroom to bed. My back archs like im getting electric shocks through my body. Thurs night dh took me to the er, they did blood tests and ultrasound. I have gall bladder stones and my white blood cell count is extremly high. I have an appt with my ob tues to find out if they want to do surgery. These attacks are so so painful, i cant walk, stand, sit, nothing makes me feel better. The first attack only lasted about 30 mins, the second was about 3 hrs, all the others have lasted 6-7 hrs. Pain like that is horrible.
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Mine was quite literally non functioning by the time i got to the doctor (gallbladder disease). Felt like someone stuck a knife under the right side of my ribcage... upper stomach and was twisting it. After months of this it started dropping me every time. It would hit and I was on the floor in tear 15 sometimes 30 minutes or more at a time. I have an extreme pain tolerance level so that was pretty major for it to do that to me. If your e experiencing any of that get to the doctor. I'll be praying for you.
trainlady
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Mine were very much like the pain of a heart attack. It felt like there was a kink in the middle of my spine right between my shoulder blades. If I got up and walked the floor or went outside and walked up and down the sidewalk it would lessen the pain. Even the doctor thought it was a heart attack at first and put me through stress tests until he figured out it was the gall bladder. Then they took it out. You won't believe how much relief I felt. I was only 32 at the time and we all thought it was a little unusual for someone my age to have a heart attack. Nowadays its such a simple operation. Fifteen minutes and its all over. They even do outpatient surgery and you are back home in a few hours. But that was just my experience, others maybe totally different.

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I got to watch a cholectomy a month ago. (I am in nursing school)

The symptoms described above are pretty accurate for gall stones and the inflammation they cause. Here is some more info for ya. (I will add it is a quick and simple operation for it to be removed and my patient (male) was very vocal about how much better he felt after the operation)

What is cholelithiasis?

Cholelithiasis is the medical name for hard deposits (gallstones) that may form in the gallbladder. Cholelithiasis is very common in the United States, especially in women over age 40.

Gallbladder Problems Spotlight

The cause of cholelithiasis is not completely understood, but it is thought to have multiple factors. The gallbladder stores bile and releases it into the small intestine when it is needed for digestion. Gallstones can develop if the bile contains too much cholesterol or too much bilirubin (one of the components of bile), or if the gallbladder is dysfunctional and cannot release the bile.

Different types of gallstones form in cholelithiasis. The most common type, called a cholesterol stone, results from the presence of too much cholesterol in the bile. Another type of stone, called a pigment stone, is formed from excess bilirubin, a waste product created by the breakdown of the red blood cells in the liver. The size and number of gallstones varies in cholelithiasis; the gallbladder can form many small stones or one large stone.

The course of cholelithiasis varies among individuals. Some people with cholelithiasis have no symptoms at all, while others may have severe abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, and complete blockage that may pose the risk of infection. Cholelithiasis can lead to cholecystitis, inflammation of the gallbladder. Acute gallstone attacks may be managed with intravenous medications. Chronic (long-standing) cholelithiasis is treated by surgical removal of the gallbladder.

Left untreated, cholelithiasis can lead to serious complications such as tissue damage, tears in the gallbladder, and infection that spreads to other parts of your body. Seek immediate medical care (call 911) for serious symptoms, such as high fever (higher than 101 degrees Fahrenheit), severe abdominal pain, abdominal swelling, and nausea with or without vomiting.

3450NANA
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Had mine removed at 17.pain very bad top part of stomach,goes around to the back.if you eat anything high in fat pain gets worse and sick to stomach...my oldest daughter is going threw it....haye to see her sufffer.they are running test..hope this helped....
MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

For me, it felt like really bad hearburn.  I went to the DR, he told me it was just heartburn and since I was nursing an infant at the time, there wasn't much I could do for it.  A few weeks later, I ended up in the hospital because a gall stone blocked my pancreatic duct causing pancreatitis.  It was so painful I thought I was having a damn heart attack.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)