Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

14 Year old son didn't come home

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:53 AM
  • 25 Replies

Hi, my name is Tammy and I live in NY. I am currently in an arguement with my oldest son's girlfriend on what she had done tonight. She is 18 years old, and she came to our home tonight with my oldest son. My youngest, 14, asked if he could go with them to visit his aunt and that the girlfriend would bring him home. My oldest son lives with his aunt, so I figured it was okay and let him go. Well, 12:30am comes and he still isn't home and no calls. Aunt's phone isn't working properly and I don't drive. I texted her and said I hope there is a good reason why my 14 year old isn't home yet and she replied: My grandmother wanted me home and he didn't want to come with me so I left him there. So he obviously would miss school if he doesn't come home. I am about to call her mother and tell her her daughter better go pick him up because I left him in HER charge and she will be responsible if anything happens to him. Am I correct? Is she legally responsible for an underage child left in her care?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Daylorenasmom
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:01 AM
No because you let him go
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:01 AM

What are the laws concerning relationships with minors?  I would think the 18 yr old could get in major trouble for being involved with a 14 yr old regardless of genders.

SissyAnn141
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Call her, Pass cerfew.

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:08 AM
I live in NY too yes being over 18 she's assuming responsibility of a minor when she willingly takes him out knowingly

Update please
toopicky429
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:19 AM
I think you read it wrong. It looks like she has an older son who lives with his aunt (he's dating the 18 year old), and her younger son is 14 and went with them.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What are the laws concerning relationships with minors?  I would think the 18 yr old could get in major trouble for being involved with a 14 yr old regardless of genders.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Yup I re-read it and apparently my comprehension went to bed w/o me.  Not sure whether the brother should get  in trouble or the girlfriend if she was the driver of transportation.  I may get upset with both for not gettng him home on time.

Quoting toopicky429:

I think you read it wrong. It looks like she has an older son who lives with his aunt (he's dating the 18 year old), and her younger son is 14 and went with them.

Quoting frndlyfn:

tammymommy1977
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Yes, the 18 year old is dating my 18 year old son, not the 14 year old. Called her parents and said she better find him a way home because she is legally responsible for him. If not, I am just going to call the police and let them deal with her AND him. 

2manydiapers
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:44 AM
She took responsibility for him as soon as they left.
Beenhereforever
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:47 AM
Eek. I'd be pissed.
Nixe
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Hope he made it home safely

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)