Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How much to charge?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: How much should this cake cost?

Options:

Under $100

$100-$150

$150-$200

$200-$250

$250-$300

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 74

View Results

DH went to school for baking and has been making cakes from home and selling. He has not gotten a set price list down since most of the people he makes cakes for are family. He usually under charges a lot on cakes because it is family and they wont pay much. He's trying to get more buisiness so he does it in hopes their friends will like the cake and spread the word and such. However he has been asked how much a cake like this would cost (by a non family or friend). Not the exact design, but pretty close. No fondont, mostly buttercream. 3 tiers. 12, 10 and 8inchs 2 layers each. This lady is sparing no expence on her DD's party. I thought this would be a good chance to actually charge a normal price. Everything is made from scratch and is very good. He has gotten TONS of compliments on his cakes. Some even saying they are the best they have ever had.

How much do YOU think a cake like this should cost? How much would YOU be willing to pay?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

How much did the ingredients cost HIM? What is the quality of the ingredients? How much time did it take for him to make it?

All of these things (and more) go into figuring out pricing.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

SnapIt
by Movin' on up on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Did he make this one? Nice job
I say about 100

Lots of work and TIME goes into those cakes
Anyone saying lower doesnt have a clue how much effort is put into one of these.

They arent so easy to make
Nice job!
If its for a business you need to take into consideration time and baking needs and how big the cake is
Go to a bakery and price some out

You dont want to sell yourself short
If you sell cheap because people dont want to pay, you won't make money, which is what a business is about
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Price of materials plus his profit for labor. I have no idea how much his materials would cost but I would probably charge in the 100 area. My hub does construction so I'm sure his percentages would be different.
Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Check and see what most bakeries charge for a cake like this.  From what you describe with the layers, etc, it shouldn't be cheap.  Plus you have to figure in his labor as well

Seagodess
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:09 AM

He has not made it. This is just a example of what they want. They want to know the cost first. Cost of materials depends on what flavors they pick. It could be anywhere between $20-40 depending on if they want to go with chocolate or white (what most people pick, but he can do others) cake. Butter cream filling, fresh fruit, whipped cream or other. They have not given him any of that information. Just looking for a approximate price.

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I would say around 100 because they don't want fondant closer to 150+ if they wanted fondant and more decoration.

jojo_star
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:06 AM

No less than $100.

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I would say $40-$50 

Seagodess
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Really?? Thats almost how much it would cost to make.

I would say $40-$50 

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I would say double the price for materials and maybe $20 per hour of his time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)