Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is this even legal?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM
  • 18 Replies
I am a nurse. Well recently I had family in the hospital and we were looking for physical rehab facilities. We were talking to a social worker about this before leaving the hospital. I mentioned the name of the facility I work at occasionally without telling the social worker I work there. The social worker said she highly wouldn't reccommend there and threw out a few more names of different facilities. Well a few days later I was at a meeting at work and they asked how I thought they could raise the census since it has been low. I told them we need to build a good reputation and with our current reputation we will not ever get to the desired census. I then told them how a family member was at the hospital recently and the social worker was recommending us not to go there. Now they want me to tell them the name of the social worker, my family members name, and write a statement so the can go after the hospital. I refuse to because I feel like it is an invasion of my family members privacy. They told me if I don't tell them I will not get any hours until I do.
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I would claim HIPAA. They have no right to the information about your family member.
Seagodess
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I'd say check with your state laws.

You could say you dont know the name of the social worker. I dont they can force you to give out personal family information.

umm.yeah
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:15 PM

They can't make you violate privacy laws.

Schaiswife09
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM
No I don't think that's legal. When u start a job ( at least every job I've had as an LPN) hippa is a huge deal and covered in orientation. Family member or not they have rights and that's violating them
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM
And they have the right not to give her more hours. I bet they know that too.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

I would claim HIPAA. They have no right to the information about your family member.
RyansMommie07
by Jessica Lynne on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

this exactly... then id tell them that if they short you hours because of this situation, you will let your lawyer know.

~<3~ Lovin my life as a Mommy & a Wife ~<3~

Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh they were stupid enough to leave it on voicemail

Quoting RyansMommie07:

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

this exactly... then id tell them that if they short you hours because of this situation, you will let your lawyer know.

Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Contact an attorney if they try to cut your hours. They cannot force you to violate the HIPAA laws.
LNLMommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM

It's none of their business..Let them do their own investigative work and work on fixing their reputation since apparently it stinks. You are not required to give out personal information.

marmie41
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I would suggest you get legal advice on this. Them asking for the name of the family member is questionable, but not where the social worker is concerned no.  Social worker should not have said what she said, what she should have done was present you family with a list of facilities and that is it.  Social worker has now put the hospital in a bad position. I would give them the name of the social worker and not the family member.  I would tell them that I will speak with the family member and let it be their decision.  And I do not blame the company you work for for wanting to get to the bottom of the matter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN