Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you allow your child to play with toy guns?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM
  • 106 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you allow your child to play with toy guns?

Options:

yes

no

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 173

View Results

I was at Target today with my son and he was picking out a toy gun.  

Some lady right in the same aisle started saying that kids shouldn't play with toy guns.  I think she was talking to the other lady that she was with but she was saying it so I could hear. 

I just ignored her and got the gun for my son.

So, I'm wondering if you all let your kids play with toy guns.

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Yes
kss12
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Ss10 plays with airsoft guns. There are rules, he's not allowed around the neighborhood with it, can only shoot it at a target in our back yard, and there is a place for airsoft guns only in our area that is extremely safe. These post more danger than the ones with the suction things, or.. Squirt guns ha! So we are extra cautious with the airsoft.
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I allow them to play with guns with the stipulation we do not shoot at people. They pretend they're hunting in the woods. If they start pretending to kill each other it's dunzoe for the night. A. I don't believe in that sort of violence

and B. it at one point became a thing where when they got pissed of for getting in trouble they would pretend to shoot whoever they were pissed at in the house. That ain't a happenin round here.

DerDer528
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Yes I do
DerDer528
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM
2 moms liked this
Agreed 100%!!!

Quoting Rachael-Dawn:

I allow them to play with guns with the stipulation we do not shoot at people. They pretend they're hunting in the woods. If they start pretending to kill each other it's dunzoe for the night. A. I don't believe in that sort of violence

and B. it at one point became a thing where when they got pissed of for getting in trouble they would pretend to shoot whoever they were pissed at in the house. That ain't a happenin round here.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I put 'other'.

We didn't allow them to play with pretend guns until they were old enough to understand the difference between a real gun and a pretend gun.

My son is now 8 years old and loves his Nerf guns!! (He's been playing with Nerf guns since last summer)

ATG499
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM
No; I tried giving him a chance with a water gun and he was pointing it at everyone and pretending to shoot us- even after I tried showing him and telling him that we don't point guns at people. So, I took it away. Maybe we'll try again in a few months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twicethemomjess
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I want to get my boys nerd guns do bad. They are fun! Right now they would lose and chew on the darts. They turn their other toys into "guns" anyway. Crayons even lol. They know not to shoot at people
KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I buy nerf guns.. but.. I don't care for the toy guns that look like REAL guns.. I just don't see the point in playing with something made to kill.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN